A Conversation for Talking Point: Turning Television into Movies

I'm amazed....

Post 1

Chronicargonaut

...that no-one has mentioned Doctor Who!
I would cast either Ian Richardson or Nicol Williamson as the good Doctor, with Colin Farrell as the Master.

The Master- "Well, Doctor, prepare to meet yer f**king doom!"smiley - winkeye

I'm amazed....

Post 2

the_jon_m - bluesman of the parish

There was a film the Beeb made with Paul McGann, it wasn't very good, too much sexual tention.

The whole point of Dr Who was the cheesy effects, CGI Cybermen, I'm not intrested.

Plus, if it is an American movie, ieverything will attack New York, rather than London or some Kent Village

Plus +, The are too many escalators about for the Darleks to use, so you can't run away up satirs now

Plus + Plus, If you parked somehting with the word police on it now,it would get trashed

Plus + Plus +, the more bad films, the more regenerations we use up,

However, Alyson Hannigan as an assistant would be good
Tim Curry as the Doctor, or Shane Richie ?

Acuatlly, Billy Connerly - execpt that he likes to strip in his films rather too much.

Steven Hawkings as Davros ....

I'm amazed....

Post 3

And Introducing... A Leg

Shane Richie and Alyson Hannigan - what a wonderful dream teamsmiley - biggrin! I'd even be pleased to hear about a movie if they did that.

I'm amazed....

Post 4

Remote

>>There was a film the Beeb made with Paul McGann, it wasn't very good, too much sexual tention<<

Well, put simply, true enough. But the important thing here is that it was AMERICAN, and so was forced into a format for AMERICANS, which doesn't work for Who.

>>The whole point of Dr Who was the cheesy effects<<

Disagree. I don't like the idea of a film either (I think it works better as a deeper story over time), but I love the newer stuff that, whilst not modern, is still respectable technically. I fail to understand the point of view which decrees that Who is fun because it's embarrassing and cheesy. I enjoy it more because of the occasional very interesting and intelligent stories. As you may have detected by now, I'm an enthusiast. It's unfortunate that this is one of the first topics I found, by chance, after I joined this site!

>>The are too many escalators about for the Darleks to use, so you can't run away up satirs now<<

At the risk of being annoying and anal, I feel obliged to point out that they were seen going up stairs on the telly fifteen years ago.smiley - smiley

I'm amazed....

Post 5

Chronicargonaut

I still think that it would be a great British film franchise like Bond-if the BBC could summon the right budget, a director/producer with loads of enthusiasm and passion for the show, and a decent actor to play the Doctor. Most importantly, and this is where blockbusting CGI films fail, it needs a decent story.
Shane Richie- perish the thought.

I'm amazed....

Post 6

the_jon_m - bluesman of the parish

I do remember the darleks going up stairs, when they invaded a school (you try doing that in New York, the darleks wouldn't stand a chance!) I was about 7, and knew that Darleks couldn't chase me if I ran up stairs, then I saw them floating, I have never been so scared in my life. Was crying for hours!!!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more