A Conversation for Beethoven's works: A cursory examination for the neophyte

Peer Review: A1033688 - Beethoven's works: A cursory examination for the neophyte

Post 1

Maus Merryjest

Entry: Beethoven's works: A cursory examination for the neophyte - A1033688
Author: Maus Merryjest - U224647

Is this properly presented?

A1033688 - Beethoven's works: A cursory examination for the neophyte

Post 2

Wulfric

Great stuff smiley - ok

One thing though, I've read that the first musical period (of the three) was regarded to have started in the early 1790's (some would say put it back to some point in the 1780's).

Otherwise - nice. smiley - biggrin

Post 3

Maus Merryjest

Thank you! I have included the correction in the next edition =3

Post 4

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

An interesting entry. Have you seen the Beethoven entry at A584859? It might be worth linking to that.

You express some opinions which I might take issue with - but not just at the moment. There are also some typos - I might get back to these later. I do have a couple of other comments for now, though.

I think you are a little unfair to LvB re the 'first period'. After all, the opening chord of his 1st symphony, written in 1799 and premiered in 1800, was absolutely groundbreaking and indeed shocking to his audience. He certainly didn't get that from Haydn or Mozart!

So when it comes to breaking the rules, that started before the 'second period'.

You might or might not like to mention another famous innovation - the use of trombones in the 5th Sym.

'Third period' - would you really characterise the 9th Sym as 'reflective and introspective'? I don't think many people would. It offers a kiss to the whole world.

The Terms and Definitions section needs tidying up. It's a bit of a mixture at the moment. And the opera items don't really apply to LvB.

Tone clusters are not limited to the piano keyboard.

Sorry this review is a bit scrappy and certainly incomplete, but perhaps will give you some things to consider and disagree with.

I think this could be a very useful entry. smiley - smiley

Bels

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

I agree with Bels on this. The entry has a lot of good stuff, but it is rather haphazardly presented at the moment. There seem to be three main sections:

an outline of the periods of Beethoven's compositional style
a discussion of the ninth symphony
a whole load of snippets presented in no particular order

I suggest you add a few headings to the entry (use and </HEADER&gtsmiley - winkeye. Then move stuff around until it is in the section with the right heading. Finally, cut out stuff that does not really belong to any section.

Good work!

Post 6

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Hmmmm... Given that the author appears to have disappeared from us for the time being, should be consider moving this to the Flea Market?

smiley - mouse

Post 7

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Agreed - a pity smiley - sadface

smiley - geeksmiley - online2longsmiley - stiffdrinksmiley - hangoversmiley - ok
Scout

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Beethoven's works: A cursory examination for the neophyte

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more