A Conversation for Time - Concepts and Perceptions

Time and the Human Mind

Post 1

Ardonis

smiley - fish
I would like to depart from the vulgar topic of time and sex. You see now, that's the thing, time is but a perception of the human mind, created to keep us from going loony. Think about it. Could we really live without time? I personally believe that time is merely the perception of the passage of the conciousness from thought to thought, function to function. We are moving infinitely fast through a stream of thought. Why do you think Einstein refused to talk about time alone, always calling it space-time? Not only because the two are permanently and inseparably linked, but because space is a reality, to a certain extent, whereas time is merely a concoction of the human mind. Now, I guess the same could be said about space, as Descartes' philosophy, "Cogito ergo sum," which, translated, means "I think therefore I am," states. When you think about it, we can't really be certain of anything past our own existence, which includes space, time, anything except our own conciousness. It really makes you think about the main idea of The Matrix, huh? So, in the future, never relegate yourself to believing what you have been told or even what you have seen! Go out and experience life, and you'll be the better for it. Wow, that was fun, I went from a physical discussion on the relationship between space and time to Descartes and the philosophy of reality. Next thing you know I'll be talking about Zohar and Hebrew Gnosticism!
smiley - fish

Time and the Human Mind

Post 2

rinkydink

I think therefore I am, I think?

Key: Complain about this post

Time and the Human Mind

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more