A Conversation for Pubs in Bedford

Peer Review: A1029737 - Pubs in Bedford

Post 1

reg/petro

Entry: Pubs in Bedford - A1029737
Author: Researcher 225598 - U225598

this is a brief discription of some of pubs and bars which i have frequented (some more oftern than others), over the preceeding few years. I hope that you find it of some use.

A1029737 - Pubs in Bedford

Post 2

Jimi X

I liked this one a lot! smiley - ok

I wouldn't worry about putting them in alphabetical order, whatever you feel tells the story best would be fine.

In a few places you use the dreaded 'first person singular' pronoun. That's generally frowned upon in terms of style for the Edited Guide, but you can always work around that - perhaps by using the pretentious 'editorial we'?

For example, where you say:
'A Weatherspoons. There isn’t a lot more I think I need to say about it really, as I’m sure that the majority of people know exactly what that entails, i.e. no music, only warm taps in the toilets (which I discovered to my great annoyance, upon the first visit to one of these chain pubs), quite a good menu of food, on a normal night, a strange mixture of old people and students (due to the menu, and cheapness of the beer).'

You could rewrite it as:
'A Weatherspoons. There isn’t a lot more we need to say about it really, as the majority of people know exactly what that entails, i.e. no music, only warm taps in the toilets, quite a good menu of food, on a normal night, a strange mixture of old people and students (due to the menu, and cheapness of the beer).'

smiley - cheers
- Jimi X

Post 3

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Yeah - what Jimi said smiley - smiley And I believe it's Wetherspoons (no 'a').

Very nice entry smiley - ok

Post 4

Ausnahmsweise, wie üblich (Consistently inconsistent)

Hi,

That's a good topic for an entry.
Edited Guide Entries are supposed to avoid first person, but that's easily changed.

Is the Bird in Hand on Brickhill Drive? Maybe the name of the road changes from Manton Lane some where at the top? (I bet your'e wondering how someone in Canada knows that!)

There are some fancy pubs. There's one along the river, opposite the the rowing club. Can't remember its name. And tucked in the corner (S.E.) near the market place and river bridge. Maybe that's more of a hotel?

Awu.

Post 5

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Are you interested in working on this one some more and incorporating any of the suggestions reg/petro?

Post 6

Number Six

If I may interpret that as a proposal for a move to the Flea Market, can I second it?

smiley - mod

Post 7

reg/petro

hi, in reply to this, i would just firstly say, yikes, this is all a bit strange, someone that i do not know having read something that ive written, all rather peculiar. as you may well be able to tell from this, i'm not really that experianced when it comes to posting things on the internet, and i think this was possibly my first entry into the Guide. i had no idea about the whole thing of it being written in the first person as being something which was generally frowned upon, so thanks for pointing that out to me. i had intended to alter this entry in the future anyway, when i had visited more pubs, or at least had visited more pubs and remained sober enough to remember anything about them, to write about. Thank you for being so kind about the entry, i didn't really think that it was all that good, or for that matter usefull, but i'm not really going to complain. i had thought that writting in the first person, was somehow made it more personal, which i thought at the time perhaps made it more interresting to read, but i am open to suggestions. thanks again.
Reg/Petro.

Post 8

Cyzaki

Are you still working on this?

smiley - panda

Post 9

reg/petro

hello just to say that i am still working on it, and have been trying to cut down the first person, stuff, within it. Although i dare say that i will post several edits before I am able to elliminate them altogether. In the mean time, i have been ading more pubs to the list, and have alterred some of the other pub bits slightly. Will resubmit the next edit of it shortly, once my computer stops playing up. Sorry that it has taken so long to reply, but i really am rather lazy, when it comes to all this computer related stuff. If anyone has any ideas, as to any good and unnusual pubs in Bedford that i perhaps ought to go to, then I would be very greatful. Thanks all for the suggestions, and that, but as not writting in the first person, seems strangly difficult for me, I may be some time before this entry is completly up to scratch, but bear with me, it will happen (honest). Reg/Petro.

Post 10

GreyDesk

I rather enjoyed reading this entry. Well done, keep at it. And keep going with the additional research as well smiley - cheerssmiley - winkeye

Post 11

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Well, what Greydesk says.

BTW, I'd say you've found yourself an interesting, promising and rewarding subject of research there smiley - stoutsmiley - winkeye

smiley - cheers
Bossel

Post 12

Cyzaki

Reg has left the building - flea market time?

smiley - panda

Post 13

Number Six

I refer the honourable lady to the answer I gave recently in the other post smiley - winkeye

smiley - mod

Post 14

sprout

I love these local entries. In order for Reg to satisfactorily test every boozer in Bedford, we need to leave him plenty of time.

That way, in the unlikely event of me going to Bedford, I can pick exactly the right establishment to fit my mood. smiley - ok

sprout

Post 15

Number Six

Well, so do I, but he can always pick it up from the Flea Market when he comes back... you can't just submit something to Peer Review, say you're working on it, vanish and expect it to still be there when you come back months later...

All of Reg's articles have a *lot* of potential but aren't quite polished enough to make the EG as they stand. But they're brilliant bits of the unedited Guide as they are.

smiley - mod

Post 16

GreyDesk

Added to the e-mail.

Post 17

reg/petro

hi, just to say that i haven't stopped writting on this yet. Sorry that it takes me so ling to do anything, but i really am rather lazy when it comes to these sorts of things, which i'm certain ive expressed on many occasions. Anyway, Ive updated and added to it, and made it a bit longer, i hope that its slightly better than it was, and ta for advice, even though it may look as if ive largely ignored it for the time being. Further improvements will be made soon(ish).
Am hoping to get up to a half century of pubs before the end of the year, so wish me and my liver good luck.
Bye for now, reg/Petro.

Key: Complain about this post