A Conversation for Spell Checker

Advice and Advise

Post 1

Emmily ~ Roses are red, Peas are green, My face is a laugh, But yours is a scream

Two more words that can be added to the Homophones - A4875942 Entry

Though, I'm a bit confused about them myself, so could I have some advice please. smiley - smiley

There's loads I've missed out, so any more suggestions for the homophones entry would be appreciated. smiley - cheers

Emmily
smiley - bluebutterfly

Advice and Advise

Post 2

Cheerful Dragon

Advice is the noun, advise is the verb. We were taught that with advice and practice, the noun has a 'c' and the verb has an 's'.

According to my dictionary, practice/practise is a UK think. In the US they use practice for both the noun and the verb. It's curious that they don't treat advice/advise the same way.smiley - erm

Advice and Advise

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

Practice and practise are both pronounced the same. They are homophones. So it makes sense to use the same spelling for them both.

But advice and advise are not pronounced the same. Advice has an "s" sound while advise has a "z" sound.

Advice and Advise

Post 4

Emmily ~ Roses are red, Peas are green, My face is a laugh, But yours is a scream

smiley - cheers

Does that mean I can't put advice and advise on the homophones page Gnomon?

Unless a person knows which one to use, they wouldn't know how to pronounce it. smiley - erm

Emmily
smiley - bluebutterfly

Advice and Advise

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

You could make a special section for "almost-homophones".

Advice and Advise

Post 6

Mu Beta

'biphones'?

B

Advice and Advise

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

You could also add:

principal

verb: first, leading
noun: person who is leading, in charge

principle

noun: a standard or rule; a fundamental truth

There's a fundamental principle at stake here. The principal problem with that is that it is stupid. I met the principal and he was a nice guy.

Advice and Advise

Post 8

AlexAshman

It helps to have patience with patients. smiley - whistle

Advice and Advise

Post 9

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

And the spelling of advice/advise helps you to remember the spelling of practice/practise. /s/ has a range of sounds in English: it can be sharp or more z-like. Soft /c/, though, is always sharp.

TRiG.smiley - smiley

Advice and Advise

Post 10

Malabarista - now with added pony

And capital/capitol!

Advice and Advise

Post 11

smiley - cheers all, great suggestions smiley - smiley

Will deal with when I online at a more reasonable hour and more awake. smiley - zzz

Emmily
smiley - bluebutterfly

Advice and Advise

Post 12

Gnomon - time to move on

Capital/capitol is a mistake that Americans make a lot. We don't have capitols in Europe, in general, so Europeans don't make that particular mistake.

Advice and Advise

Post 13

Malabarista - now with added pony

Yes, I know - but I see the mistake often enough from Americans that it's become one of my pet peeves smiley - winkeye

There's a church called St-Maria-im-Kapitol in Cologne, but I think that's the only use of the word I know that isn't a translation from something American.

Key: Complain about this post