A Conversation for Spell Checker

Affect and Effect

Post 1

Emmily ~ Roses are red, Peas are green, My face is a laugh, But yours is a scream

Two more words that can be added to the Homophones - A4875942 Entry

Though, I'm a bit confused about them myself, so could I have some advice please. smiley - smiley

There's loads I've missed out, so any more suggestions for the homophones entry would be appreciated. smiley - cheers

Emmily
smiley - bluebutterfly

Affect and Effect

Post 2

Cheerful Dragon

Taking them as verbs:

Affect: to produce an effect on; move or touch the feelings of; attack (in the sense of disease - the liver was affected).
Effect: to bring about or accomplish; to cause to exist or occur.

As nouns:

Affect: feeling, emotion or desire, esp. as leading to an action
Effect: the result of an action; the impression produced on a spectator, listener, etc.; efficacy (had little effect)

It's especially confusing that when you _affect_ something you cause an _effect_. I don't think I've seen the noun 'affect' very often. According to my dictionary it's a psychological term. I included it for completeness.

Affect and Effect

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

Affect and Effect are not really homophones, though, are they. They sound different to me.

Affect and Effect

Post 4

Malabarista - now with added pony

Affect as a noun is often used in German, in legal cases - "Im Affekt handeln" is to act in the heat of the moment.

Affect and Effect

Post 5

Cheerful Dragon

That sounds like the English meaning (see my definition above).

Affect and effect may not be homophones, but I have seen people use one when they mean the other.

Affect and Effect

Post 6

Emmily ~ Roses are red, Peas are green, My face is a laugh, But yours is a scream

Like advice and advise, if you were unsure which to use, you wouldn't know how to pronounce or spell them.

I could have a 'Not quite a homophone' section on the page. smiley - smiley

Emmily
smiley - bluebutterfly

Affect and Effect

Post 7

AlexAshman

I tend to use affect as a verb and effect as a noun. It's not a perfect rule, but it's kept me out of trouble.

Key: Complain about this post