A Conversation for English Pub Names

Passing the time

Post 1

Global Village Idiot

A quick trip down memory lane, apropos of not very much.

Back when I was a nipper, before everywhere became accessible by motorway, we used to play a game to liven up holiday journeys.

You split into two teams and each take a side of the road. When you pass a pub on your side of the road, you get a point for every leg - so The Pelican or The Duke of Wellington get you two points, The Red Lion four. The Rose and Crown scores nowt.

When there's a plural, you get two of the thing - so The Fox and Hounds is one fox and two hounds, 12 points, while The Cricketers is four points.

I think our biggest winner was a pub called The Commonwealth, which we figured had to be worth almost 2 billion, mostly thanks to India.

Passing the time

Post 2

Mark Moxon

Nice game. Of course you could always turn it around so that the person with the fewest legs wins, but that might cause a few arguments over The Pickled Newt, which everyone knows has four legs, but is also leglesss.

Passing the time

Post 3

SPINY (aka Ship's Cook)

A good variation on the Spot a Make of Car game. Waaaay back when, I was trounced by my school pal when we drove under a railway bridge which was being crossed by a transporter train loaded with several hundred of his Car, the Ford Anglia. Mine, by the way, was the Morris Minor.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more