This is the Message Centre for smurfles

What a WEEKEND!!!

Post 1

smurfles

As many of my friends know i am not alwys able to make arrangemments in advance,so didn't want to risk signing up for the london meet.My hubby had been given a ticket for a champagne ride on the london eye for fathers day,so i thought it would be a lovely idea to combine the two,and just pop along to hyde park and say hi to some peole i'd been longing to meetsmiley - biggrin
We duly packed our case,and set off on friday for london,a five hour drive from here.I can't saythat the drive was a wonderful experience,it took us ages to find the hotel,which we booked on friday morning,and was in the docklands.It was a lovely hotel,quiet and relaxing,and excellent food.
So,just bear with me now,on saturday morning we got up and and ready to leave the hotel at 10 a.m.,with the the intention of been in hyde park for 1 p.m.The car decided it didn't want to play,(it must have been tired from the drive the day before)so at 10.20.a.m we rung the A.A.
i won't bore everyone with the details,suffice to say that after numerous calls to and from us ,and a towing truck arriving to tow the car away,which we promptly sent away again,bearing in mind that by then nobody had even lifted the bonnet,it was after 3p.m.When we started shouting a very nice man from the A.A.came and started the car within ten minutes!!!!
By that time our daughter had arrived,she had arranged to meet us later on saturday,so we decideided to take her partners car,and we headed off for the city,where he hubby was going on the eye!!!!In the upheavel i left my disabsabled parking badge in our car,so we had to walk,or in my case ,bounce,along various cobbles to reach our destination!!!
Rest assured my friends..i wont forget the july 2004 london meet in a hurry!!!smiley - sadface

What a WEEKEND!!!

Post 2

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

So did you actually make it to the meetup?smiley - boing

What a WEEKEND!!!

Post 3

smurfles

,hi abbi..smiley - cryno!!!!We didn't make it to the shops,which i REALLY wanted to do as well!!!!The whole day was spoiled,and i missed seeing everyone as wellsmiley - wah.

What a WEEKEND!!!

Post 4

azahar

Oh dear, smurfles! smiley - hug

Well, perhaps I'll be going to the next one in January, so maybe see you there? smiley - smiley

az

What a WEEKEND!!!

Post 5

Lizzbett

Oh, poor Sal, what a bummer! I have left you a message about my first meet experience in the usual place.

Did you get onto the Eye? I've been on it twice and I can highly recommend it.

Liz
~

What a WEEKEND!!!

Post 6

aka Bel - A87832164

Oh Sal, to know that you've been that near and we didn't meet makes me want to smiley - wah
Hope to see you one day in the future smiley - ok

What a WEEKEND!!!

Post 7

Jimcracker7[magiclink.rip gone altogether. im back.in my home from home.

hi sal
--
sorry to hear it wasnt what you wanted the day to be,i would have loved to go myself, but it to far for me now to travel.
--
just been reading the other main thread,they had some fun at the pub as well later that night,
--
but from the thread, it looks like a good time was had by all,jimxxx

What a WEEKEND!!!

Post 8

smurfles

I am so sorry that i missed everyonesmiley - wahAs soon as i can i will post a photo to azahars gallery of the place we stayed.I so wanted to meet you all,i didn't know another one was been arranged,smiley - applausesmiley - somersault!!!It would be lovely if you were there too azsmiley - hug.jim.it was a very long journey,and i'm still sore today,but if i could do it,i'm sure you could!!!

What a WEEKEND!!!

Post 9

hi sal
-
it was in two parts didnt you know,
--
1pm at hyde park was a picknic i think,then at 6pm the hyde ones met up at the pendrel oak pub
in holborn.(excuse if spelt wrong)
--
theres a thread on my page,london meet 2004,jim

What a WEEKEND!!!

Post 10

smurfles

hi jim,i didn't have all the details love,as i wasn't sure about going.It was an on the spot decision really,but i knew there was a meeting in hyde park at 1.p.m.The reason i didn't tell anyone i was going was in case i couldn't do the journey,and i knew it wouldn't be possible to do a lot of the day.If it hadn't been for the car,and the smiley - bleepservice we got,we would have still made it!I did see a bit of london though,as we drove through it!!!Oh,and i saw trafalgar square too!!!

What a WEEKEND!!!

Post 11

Lizzbett

I believe there are two official meets in London each year, the summer one (including the Hyde Park picnic) and then a winter one held in January. However, I am also led to understand that there are other, smaller local ones held in other parts of the country. Surely there must be a 'northern' meet from time to time that Jim and Sal could go to? Or you could always organise your ownsmiley - ok.

There is a list of some of the past events here http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/A649299 and then if you subscribe to this thread http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/A639056, which is the announcements thread, you should get advanced warning of any future meets (and all sorts of other stuff too).

I didn't stay for the pub meet on Saturday because I'm too chicken to travel on the train on my own at night. I enjoyed my picnic in the rain though.smiley - laugh

What a WEEKEND!!!

Post 12

aka Bel - A87832164

Sal, there's a York mini meet on 31st July, it's on http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/F53684?thread=388653, perhaps you can join there ? I know that several of my friends will be going.

What a WEEKEND!!!

Post 13

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

Oh Smurfles! I feel so badly for you.
All that effort and perserverance and you missed the meet too!
smiley - wah

What a WEEKEND!!!

Post 14

hi b,elana
--
couldnt click your thread link,but found it myself,not many on the list and seems a bit haphazzard 29th and 30 this month, a bit short notice for the york one, and i didnt reconise anyone,thanks anyway jimxxx

What a WEEKEND!!!

Post 15

deepdaleduck

Hi Sal, poor you and Bill, all that way and you missed the meet, did Bill get on the london eye?,, Jim and i have been on it, it is really good, if we go to London again, we will go on the eye again... If you get to London again, you will have to go on the eye with Bill, there is a acess for you, and it goes vey slow, you cant tell it is moving.. and the views are great sal... it was a change of scenery for you... gla dyou got safely home, will email you befor we go on hol luv hazel

What a WEEKEND!!!

Post 16

deepdaleduck

hi i left a msg in my journal feel free to look it up. and reply if you want to.. i will be back in h2g2 befor i go on my hols... catch you soon sal xx bye....everyonexx

Key: Complain about this post