This is the Message Centre for Secretly Not Here Any More

Planning Etiquette

Post 1

Secretly Not Here Any More

As long-time journal readers will know, L and I have been planning a wedding for the past few months. We've booked a venue, sorted a registrar, got a photographer and all that sort of thing.

And while we've not got round to sending the invites yet, it's pretty much common knowledge when the date of our wedding is. Especially with my family, who've all booked rooms.

Anyway, on Friday evening, we learned that a cousin has booked his wedding for the week after ours. Is it wrong to be somewhat wound up by this, as it's pretty much guaranteed to take the focus off us on our wedding day, as that part of the family will (understandably) be more interested in what's going on the week after? Or are we acting like a pair of spoiled brats by being so riled up by this?

Genuinely interested to hear other people's opinions, as there seems to be a split (near enough along gender lines) on this.

Planning Etiquette

Post 2

Sho - employed again!

hmm difficult. duff your cousin up.

Planning Etiquette

Post 3

Too much effort. The worst parts have been as follows:

His fiancee going on Facebook to announce the wedding, saying how "it had to be (date) because she didn't want to overshadow her bridesmaid's wedding 6 months later."

My mum saying "[we] shouldn't be upset as it's not deliberate - [cousin] probably didn't give your wedding a second thought."

Planning Etiquette

Post 4

swl

It's not too late you know ...

Planning Etiquette

Post 5

Not too late to do a runner, swl? We're considering tossing a coin to see who leaves who at the altar, then getting married on honeymoon. That way we're guaranteed to be the main topic of conversation a week later...

smiley - winkeye

Planning Etiquette

Post 6

Sho - employed again!

oh that would be so cool. Do it.

Planning Etiquette

Post 7

It would ruin it for her family a bit though. Not an issue with mine, it being a deliberate slight and all...

Planning Etiquette

Post 8

swl

YOLO

Planning Etiquette

Post 9

McKay The Disorganised

Theme your wedding as "come as your favorite animal." on the invites sent to your cousin's close family but nobody elses.

smiley - cider

Planning Etiquette

Post 10

We've decided that we'll turn up to their wedding late, drunk, and with me in L's wedding dress.

Planning Etiquette

Post 11

swl

Hot tip - make sure you don't look better in the dress than L.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Secretly Not Here Any More

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more