A Conversation for Visiting Tughluquabad in Delhi

Peer Review: A42419955 - Visiting Tughluquabad in Delhi

Post 1

Atrijit

Entry: Visiting Tughluquabad in Delhi - A42419955
Author: Atrijit Dasgupta - U6998920

A note on Tughluquabad in Delhi, and I have tried to stick to the Edited Guidelines rules.

A42419955 - Visiting Tughluquabad in Delhi

Post 2

pailaway - (an utterly gratuitous link in the evolutionary chain)

This is delightful smiley - applause

The donkeys lend a slightly surreal aspect - well done smiley - laugh

I'd enjoy a clue as to how to pronounce Tughluquabad - I'm going to hazard a guess that it doesn't rhyme with anything helpful though.

smiley - smiley

Post 3

Atrijit

it rhymes with other "*bads" - all "bad" sounding names. Aurangabad, Shikokabad etc.

The Tughluqs were like a comic relief in the long list of Sultans who ruled india prior to the Mughals - Muhummud bin Tughluq, the son of the guy who built this fort, was known as the Mad Sultan. I guess something ending with "mad" would also rhyme with the name.

And his madness was interesting - he had some bright ideas for his time, but he used to implement these without thinking through practical consequences, and insisted that his commands be interpreted in the most literal fashion possible.

You can pick up some details at http://www.storyofpakistan.com/person.asp?perid=P050 though they are a bit serious in their tone here.The Wikipedia entry is better I suppose - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_bin_Tughluq

Post 4

Actually, I was more curious about how to pronounce the Tughluq part. The son does sound interesting, now that you mention him.

Back to the entry - this is really quite excellent. Personally, I enjoy the ones like this that are a guide to a place the author has been and that are also wry, informative and interesting.

I don't think there are any structural changes to recommend - only some minor typos to attend.

smiley - cheers

Post 5

Atrijit

I would go through once to eliminate the typos and get back to you.

As for how to pronounce it, the spelling I have used - "Tughluquabad" -s archaic I suppose - nowadays I find "Tughluqabad" being used.

The "Tughluq" is pronounced simply - as "toogh"+"lak", the "lak" being as in "talk".

Hope that helps smiley - smiley

Post 6

And here I would have guessed it would be either toog-look or tug-luk. Well, what can I say, we americans can't pronounce our own words, much less anyone else's.

On re-reading, this seems to only vaguely locate the fort:
>>Tughluquabad is on the road joining Mehrauli with Mathura road<<

Perhaps 'on such and such road near its intersection with so and so road' or 'xx km due east of thus and such' - you know, some landmark that one could locate on google earth, for example, without too much trouble.

smiley - cheers

Post 7

Atrijit

Hi
Sure - I would give more precise directions. In Delhi though a lot of people you ask may not have precise ideas about where the place is. Apart from that I checked up, there were occasional typos, have removed those.

Post 8

Atrijit

Hi
Provided some directions now, including a google map location as well. A person actually wanting to visit the place could still get lost, but what the heck - even I had got lost when I first went there.

Post 9

Those seem like excellent instructions you've added at the bottom. It turns out that you can add a map directly into your entry instead of an external link. While you are editing your entry scroll a few lines below the "Update Entry" button and you'll find "Add map locations to this Entry"

Have a look near the bottom of this entry: A19773165
and you'll see what it will look like.

Just something to try.

I can't think of anything else - very nice work smiley - ok

smiley - cheers

Post 10

Atrijit

Hi
I tried it, but I don't see the "Add Map Locations" on my page anywhere.Gave the entire page a decently thorough look.
Atrijit

Post 11

Hmmm... I seem to remember now that some features only appear when you have the Brunel skin set in your preferences. I'm not sure why. You might try changing that in your Preferences and then have another look. It's not critical since you do provide a map. A sub-editor could make the change later. smiley - smiley

Post 12

Atrijit

I tried previewing in Brunel skin but that map widget does not appear. Maybe it would be a good idea for a sub-editor to do that for me.
Thanks
Atrijit

Post 13

Atrijit

Hi
Would be great if you could let me know when this piece would make it to the Edited Guide...
Atrijit

Post 14

I don't actually know - but the editors post here when the entry is selected and sent up to the next step which is the sub-editors.

It means a fidgity sort of patience is needed smiley - zen

Post 15

Phoenician Trader

This is delightful. I hope it gets picked soon.

smiley - lighthouse

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 16

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 17

Congratulations smiley - applause

Well deserved smiley - ok

Post 18

laconian

Oh excellent! I have had this on my list of things to read for a while but haven't got round to it. And now I find it's been picked smiley - applause. Well done.

Sub-editor calling

Post 19

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Hello Atrijit Dasgupta, I have subbed your excellent article and you can find it at:
A43407623

I tidied it up, switched to Guide ML and hope it reads to your satisfaction smiley - smiley

I had a problem finding it on google maps but I am now going to try again using alternate spellings and as soon as I hit the jackpot I will switch to Brunel skinsmiley - cdouble and add the map to your Entry for you smiley - ok

GB
smiley - galaxy

Sub-editor calling

Post 20

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Map added, although the google spelling (and probably British-English spelling) is: Tughlakabad Fort, Delhi

Perhaps if I change the title to reflect this, then put your alternate spelling in the footnote, your Entry will get more hits via the search engine smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post