A Conversation for Impeaching a US President

Clarification

Post 1

mikeypie

So a person is "impeached" by the House but "convicted" by the Senate? So what does this mean in the case of someone who has the votes needed in the House to be called impeached, but who does not have the votes needed to be convicted by the Senate? Are they still "impeached"? What discipline happens in this case, and how is it determined?

Clarification

Post 2

Oberon2001 (Scout)

They are impeached (impeachment is not the same as eviction from office, it's like being charged with an offence by the police), not convicted, and therefore stay in office.
In the case of a President the House could decide to publically censure him/her.
Oberon2001

Clarification

Post 3

mikeypie

So indeed the true mark of a politition gone wrong would be Censure, where Impeachment falls along the middle line of gone wrong-itude?

Is the Impeachment still a mark of guilt?

Some analogies might clarify how I am understanding things, please correct me where I'm wrong:
1) impeached | accused :: censured | convicted
2) impeached | not-acquitted :: censured | found guilty
3) impeached and censured | convicted :: impeached not censured | acquitted :: not impeached or censured | found not guilty

By the way, I forgot to mention this before smiley - doh but your article is really good! Thank you for the entry! (and the replies!) smiley - cheers

Clarification

Post 4

Oberon2001 (Scout)

Impeachment and Public Censure are two different procedures and aren't (technically at least) connected. Impeachment is like a trial to find whether the person is guilty of "high crimes and misdemeanours" whereas Public Censure would be a Bill passed through Congress stating where he has gone wrong (and a Public Censure is considered below Impeachment by most).
Impeachment is still a kind of mark of guilt, from the House of Representatives rather than the Senate.
smiley - cheers for reading my entry btw. smiley - ok
Oberon2001

Clarification

Post 5

mikeypie

Indeed! Thanks for writing it! smiley - ok

Impeachment

Post 6

Perusing_Murray

Sorry to join this conversation so belatedly BUT...

Can anyone tell me how many US Presidents have been impeached?

Thanks*,

Perusing Murray

*Or as we say here in the Sudan, Muchos Gracias.

Impeachment

Post 7

And Introducing... A Leg

Two Presidents have been impeached: Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton. Neither was convicted by the Senate.

Johnson came nearer: he survived by a single vote. Apparently, a nearly dead Senator has to be wheeled into the chamber to cast the deciding vote.

It goes without saying that Nixon would have been impeached and convicted if he hadn't quit first.

Impeachment

Post 8

And Introducing... A Leg

Sorry, I meant HAD to be wheeled in, in that specific case. The constitution does not require that the casting vote be made by the dangerously ill.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Impeaching a US President

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more