This is the Message Centre for ~:*-Venus-*:~

Ok.....

Post 1

~:*-Venus-*:~

So i've managed to finally login after a few problems.....looks different, feels different and i'm not sure i will be staying yet. smiley - erm

Ok.....

Post 2

Willem

Hello Venus! I'm happy to see you here and would like it if you did stay around!

Ok.....

Post 3

scorp

Welcome Venus! You've got to stay. Who else is going to answer all my silly plant questions?

Like this one: What is it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11305258@N08/6282840812/in/photostream

Ok.....

Post 4

Willem

I think I can answer that one for you scorp! But first ... are the leaves thick and very stiff?

Ok.....

Post 5

Hypatia

It's good to have you back, Venus. smiley - rose

Ok.....

Post 6

Hi Scorp. It's an urn plant i think, one of the bromeliades. Do you water it into the centre of the plant?

Ok.....

Post 7

Thanks Willem and i will thin about it, but my time is limited as i have other interests. smiley - smiley

Ok.....

Post 8

Thanks Hypatia. smiley - smiley

Ok.....

Post 9

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Well yay and whoo-hoo's to see you over here, even if rarely. smiley - hug

Ok.....

Post 10

ITIWBS

Another garden related post: http://h2g2.com/dna/h2g2/brunel/F1697644?thread=8282439

Ok.....

Post 11

Just another place to poke you eh! smiley - biggrin

Ok.....

Post 12

If I leave a great trail of smiley - hugsmiley - hugsmiley - smoochsmiley - kisssmiley - blushsmiley - hugsmiley - kisssmiley - smoochsmiley - smoochsmiley - loveblushsmiley - kisssmiley - blushsmiley - hug

Would that dissuade you from pokies?

Ok.....

Post 13

scorp

Venus/Willem! Re: plant. Venus, it does look remarkably like an urn plant doesn't it? The only difference I can see is the leaf tips. The urn plant seems to have rounded tips.

I do not water the centre of the plant as this is where the new leaves are forming and I was not aware you could water inside plants. I usually water the tray on which the pot stands.

Willem! The leaves are indeed as you describe - the tips of them are very pointed and quite sharp to the touch.

Thanks both for your help.

Ok.....

Post 14

Hi Willem, i know what it is now. It's a sanseviera hahnii, one of the smaller mother-in-laws-tongue plants.

Ok.....

Post 15

Hi Scorp, i posted a full message on your photo site. smiley - smiley It's not a bromeliade after all, so don't water it in the centre that will kill it. smiley - yikes I would go into a full explanation about bromeliade watering, but as you don't have one theres no point. smiley - laugh

Ok.....

Post 16

Nope Nick, that would'nt dissuade me smiley - evilgrin

Ok.....

Post 17

Willem

Hi there, yes, that is a Sansevieria. Now I'll go check what Venus told you to make sure she didn't misadvise you! I grow Sansevierias here as well.

Ok.....

Post 18

Willem

Arghh! Flicker won't let me post! Scorp, I just wanted to say be careful with watering. That thing comes from fairly dry regions. Once every one or two weeks would be OK and like Venus said, water around the base, not into the centre! Sansevierias come (mostly) from Africa and we have several species over here, and I grow them too. I love them! I have a few giant ones here, that grow over a meter tall. You can propagate it if you want ... it might form new rosettes around that one. You can detach them with a bit of the underground portion, and let them dry out for a week, and then plant them. It grows from leaf cuttings also but that's a bit more tricky.

Ok.....

Post 19

Ok.....

Post 20

Venus knows that I cannot get seeds of any sort to grow, and can in fact cause silk and plastic flowers to wilt.

Key: Complain about this post