This is the Message Centre for Laura

I had this slightly crazy idea...

Post 1

Laura

I was getting all excited about the summer meet (I love meets smiley - magic), so many people had put their names down that I knew of. Both dates I can make (hopefully), though I've got my fingers crossed for 10th July.

But then I had this somewhat smiley - silly idea (tends to happen when I've too much time on my hands smiley - laugh). What about a virtual meet? Then I dismissed the idea, as that's kind of what h2g2 is anyway, along with the building the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Earth Edition.

But then the idea came back (still got too much time on hands smiley - biggrin). A virtual meet could be organised like an ordinary meet. Set a place, time and date and get a load of hootooers online together for some fast paced natter. smiley - biggrin There could even be a quiz like in most the actual meets smiley - bigeyes.

Have the holidays just got to me or could it actually work?

*waits for people to laugh at her* smiley - winkeye

Post 2

summerbayexile

As someone 12,000 miles away I'm all for it!!!!smiley - laugh I'll put my name down for it. Great job Unc!!smiley - cheers By the way, one of the articles I'm reading at the moment is by Zoltan Dornyei - one of your staff at the Uni of Nottingham. Its fascinating, if a little dense - semantically speaking!!
SBE

Post 3

Researcher 185550

Set a GMT time and get a thread rolling... or set up a page for it. It'd be great.

Post 4

Researcher 556780

smiley - ok

wish I could pop to a real meet!

Post 5

Lizzbett

When the BBC Book of the Future launch party was on in Lonon last year, those of us who didn't go had a virtual party on the BotF site at the same time. It worked quite well and it made a change to 'chat' in real time rather than picking up messages later as we normally do.

So that's a smiley - ok to your idea from me.smiley - smiley

Liz
~

Post 6

Laura

It would need more than one thread I think so would need a page of it's own. It could even have one for the dull afternoon event that we give up on after 20 minutes. smiley - laugh

Post 7

Hoon

Great call Ace, sign me up! It definitely would require its own page though.

Post 8

Researcher 185550

And publicisation. Put it in your name and smiley - thepost. When it's all sorted, that is.

smiley - erm

How we gonna get photos?

Post 9

Laura

Will need a page first, and some idea of a date. smiley - smiley

There aren't photos anymore for meets, the 2003 summer meet was the last 'official' one. smiley - wah

Post 10

Researcher 185550

Whaaaat? Why?

Post 11

Laura

With so few italics I guess it's simply not possible. smiley - sadface

Post 12

Researcher 185550

Ah well.

Cyber-meets, now there's a thought though. They could dip in and out.

Post 13

Laura

Avoids the problems of getting lost whilst trying to find the pub too. smiley - laugh

Post 14

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

I LOVE getting lost whilst trying to find the pubsmiley - bigeyessmiley - weird

Post 15

Laura

But don't you lose out on smiley - ale drinking time?

Post 16

Hoon

Why noy hold the meet in one of the pubs?

Post 17

Laura

For the virtual meet? I had a vague idea of either taking over or copying the idea of 'the Society Arms'. The place doesn't really get used but I like the idea of having lots of different tables, though they'd have to be in the same time and place. smiley - laugh (The tables of the Society Arms are all in different times and places).

Post 18

dasilva

Interesting smiley - book

Post 19

aka Bel - A87832164

I like the idea, but will rateher manage to go to a real meet than to get the pc at a fixed timesmiley - wah

Post 20

Laura

I'd rather do both smiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Laura

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more