A Conversation for why pick on scunthorpe?

Up to a Point, yeah...

Post 1

Pinniped

Speaking as a Scunthonian who chose to set up home in Sheffield, I guess there's a point where our views part company...
The worst thing about Scunthorpe, frankly, is that it's a biggish place with very little economic diversity. And the industry it's tied to is in steep decline.
I like my home town a lot, it's people are great, but I no longer dare feel emotionally attached to it. Anyone who feels deeply for the place will have a hard time watching its inevitable decay over the next 30 years.
Pin
(Hope I'm on the wavelength you wanted - with a critique of the sentiments of the piece rather than the actual writing).

Up to a Point, yeah...

Post 2

Ancient Brit

Sorry Pin but since you left Scunny it has survived industrial restructuring. It lost two major steel companies in the going and about a 75% change in employment. If it can handle that it can handle the eventual loss of its major employer. Scunny will survive it has road links second to none and now has a multi skilled work force and space to cobble dogs with. It is still a steel town but gone are the days when virtually every household had at least one steel worker. Unfortunately Scunny is no lomger able to export well trained skilled tradesmen and technicians. That is a problem for those who used to pick them up and not for Scunny itself.

Up to a Point, yeah...

Post 3

Researcher 235668

well im on the consumer panel for the cinema and i am going to write to as many celebs as possible to see if they will come to the cinema to celebrate its 1st whole year of opening on november the 8th yippee

Up to a Point, yeah...

Post 4

Ancient Brit

Best of luck with that Researcher 235668
To join in and get the best from h2g2 you should make an entry into your personal space. That way people will be able to contact you and offer help.
Click on this link below to read about your personal space, smiley - ok
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/DontPanic-Space#1

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more