A Conversation for The National Trust: Essential Tweed Monster Survival Guide

Peer Review: A915545 - The National Trust

Post 1

Jezebel

Entry: The National Trust - A915545
Author: Jezebel - U213382

Here's a piece drawn from some personal inside knowledge... I was that tweedy person on the other side of the desk! No bitterness though, bless 'em.

A915545 - The National Trust

Post 2

McKay The Disorganised

Good Stuff smiley - ok

You mention English Heritage, perhaps you should explain who they are and how they differ from The NT.

smiley - cheers

Post 3

Jezebel

Good idea. I might do so, plus the RSPB who also get a billing.

Post 4

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Bit unsure about the first heading. Entries normally work best with an introduction before a first heading.

You'll need to go through the entry and take out the first person stuff, eg:
'but I expect you get the point that ' can be changed to 'but you will get the point that'. Things like 'in my view' will also need to be taken out.

Oh and check the spelling of gynacologist!

Otherwise, looks a good entry, Jezebel. smiley - ok

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Post 5

Mammuthus Primigenius

This is a nicely written account. To me it seems a bit unbalanced, talking a lot about the tweed-clad, range-rover-driving image of the Trust; and only briefly explaining the picture of an extensive conservation organisation, run by thousands of dedicated environmentalists.

We all have different images of the Trust, and it's your entry, but maybe you could add some more details about the work it has done.

Or at least add this link: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk

Post 6

Jezebel

Thanks for the feedback, people. I've made some of the amendments you suggested - well done for spotting the first-person references. I confess the article was orignally written in the first person and I'd filletted it. I've made a few other style changes to emphasise the countryside and landscape side a bit more - as a former NT countryside worker I don't actually subscribe to the green-wellies image, but I'm well aware how deeply rooted it is in the psyche of those who know relatively little about the NT.

Post 7

Mammuthus Primigenius

The entry reads much better now, the subheaders help a lot.

It's true that you never see anyone wearing green wellies at the AGM, but the Trust is supported by a small army of conservation workers; and the teenage volunteers clearing garden ditches are just as important as the nice old ladies who greet you at the door.

As I said, we all have our own image of the NT. The great thing is, they all coexist quite happily smiley - smiley

Over to you, scouts

Post 8

Jezebel

Revised again very slightly, with some extra links and a bit better punctuation. I must get out more...

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 9

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 10

Mammuthus Primigenius

Congratulations smiley - bubbly

Post 11

Jezebel

I'm very happy. My first picked entry. Thanks for your help.

Post 12

Rho

Well done! smiley - biggrin

Just to let you know, I'm going to be subediting your entry. I'll leave a note for you before I return it to make sure you're absolutely happy with the editing.

smiley - cheers
RhoMuNuQ

Post 13

Rho

smiley - run

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The National Trust: Essential Tweed Monster Survival Guide

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more