A Conversation for The Armenian Genocide

Birds Without WIngs

Post 1

roobarrb

A good introduction to this period is Louis de Bernieres' novel Birds Without Wings. This tells how Armenians were taken from their homes in a small, peaceful town on the pretence of being 'resetled'. These ordinary decent folk are then raped, brutalised, robbed and murdered. Bernieres' matter-of-fact style lets readers see events throught the eyes of ordinary people caught up in this evil. Its an unsettling read, but well worth the effort.

Birds Without WIngs

Post 2

trakian

the whole book is about the friendly relations of turks, greeks, armenians and others in ottoman land. and focuses on the western effect on these populations which results in hatred and war.
don't believe in these malevolent comments, just read the book and you will see what is the reason of all these pains.

Birds Without WIngs

Post 3

Lucky Llareggub - no more cannibals in our village, we ate the last one yesterday..

High time I read this book. I will dedicate my reading of it to the murdered journalist Hrant Dink.

Have read Corelli's Mandolin and The Red Dog by the same author.

Birds Without WIngs

Post 4

Lucky Llareggub - no more cannibals in our village, we ate the last one yesterday..

I'm off to the library. Hope they have Birds Without Wings.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more