This is the Message Centre for AlsoRan80

h2g2 - Wikipedia -Post article.

Post 1

AlsoRan80

This informative, article which appears in this week's Post was totally fascinating.

The history of this marvellous website is given without fear or favour.

Questions which I. and I am sure others have asked, are anwered.

The strength which this website demonstrates, and the wonderful efforts of the pioneers including DNA himself are given fairly and unequivocally.

I count myself indeed fortunate in having come across this site by the back door so-to-speak, belonging to the science fiction era of Jules Verne.

Thank you again who ever chose this article -done in a comparative way with the other websites for which the BBC has now accepted/ adopted responsibility.

Happy, Happy researcher am I!.

Christiane
Alsor Ran80

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Are you talking about the article on the Wikipedia site about h2g2, Christiane? The one with a link to it from h2g2's front page?

That's nothing to do with the Post. It was written by Wikipedia researchers, but I suspect some of them are h2g2 people as well.

Post 3

Not-so-bald-eagle

The Wiki article states :

"The intent was to create an earth focused guide that would allow members to share information about their geographic area and the local sites, activities and businesses**, to help people decide where they want to go and what they may find when they get there. It has grown to contain subjects from restaurants and recipes, to quantum theory and history."

Recently some new reseachers have submitted entries that are business-/self-promotional. This may be the reason (see asterisks I added)

smiley - coolsmiley - bubbly

Post 4

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Business articles and self-promotion articles are kicked out as soon as they're submitted to PR, NSB-eaglesmiley - ok

Post 5

Not-so-bald-eagle

I noticed. But the people submitting them might have done so after reading the Wiki article which is a little misleading in this respect.

smiley - bubbly

It is after all a little frustrating for them to see the Wiki article, act on it and then be, as you say, kicked out

Post 6

smiley - ermI suggest you contact the Wiki people, if you're that bothered. The BBC doesn't allow advertising here, and I agree. People can write an entry about something and include links but if the links go to an advertising site these will be removed, but the entry may stand. I believe the last one was the humidifiers entry, although I've lost track of that smiley - sadface

Post 7

Not-so-bald-eagle

I was making a comment not questioning BBC policy.... but so pleased to hear YOU agree

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

I've added the following line to the Wiki article:
Explicit advertising of businesses is forbidden by the site owners, the BBC, but customer reviews are permitted.

Post 9

smiley - wow

smiley - applauseGnomonsmiley - ok

Post 10

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I'll look into that after lunch. smiley - smiley

Post 11

Not-so-bald-eagle

Gnomon

an useful addition I think

smiley - bubbly

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for AlsoRan80

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more