A Conversation for I'm New - What Do I Do Now?

New person!

Post 1

Clover

Hello I'm new to your site!

I have been a Douglas Adams fan for years, and visited this site a fair while ago - but it seems to have changed alot since then. Are most people here still big HH fans?

Where to from here?

New person!

Post 2

Rho

Hi! Welcome to h2g2! smiley - smiley

I'd say that most active people here are definitely still HH fans, at least on h2g2! smiley - biggrin

I'd suggest that you change your name from Researcher 211781. You can do that by clicking the "Preferences" button or on this link: <./>UserDetails</.>. You then change your nickname and click "Update Details". smiley - smiley

Also, you could write a little about yourself on your personal space, U211781. You can get to it by clicking the "My Space" button, clicking "Edit Page", writing about yourself then clicking Update.

I hope that helps! smiley - ok
RhoMuNuQ {Ace, Guru} smiley - smiley

New person!

Post 3

Clover

Thanks RhoMuNuQ!

Can you tell me what Ace and Guru means?

And how you got to be a volunteer for the site?

New person!

Post 4

Tango

Hi! Welcome to h2g2!

An ACE is an "Assistant Community Editor", they welcome new users to the site.

A Guru answers peoples questions about the site.

A Scout picks entry from PeerReview to go into the edited guide.

A Sub-Editor edits the entrys picked by the scouts.

A Community Artist draws pictures for the site.

You can find out more about them at: <./>Volunteers</.>

Delta

New person!

Post 5

Rho

No problem Clover! smiley - smiley

The Aces welcome new users to h2g2 and the Gurus help to answer questions about the workings of h2g2.

To be a volunteer, I just asked very nicely on the appropriate page linked to from the <./>Volunteers</.> page!

RhoMuNuQ smiley - smiley

New person!

Post 6

Rho

smiley - laugh Simulpost! Hi Delta! smiley - smiley

New person!

Post 7

Tango

Hi!

Delta

New person!

Post 8

Clover

Thanks guys... I'm off to volunteer for your jobs smiley - smiley

Clover

New person!

Post 9

Rho

You'll probably need to activate your personal space first and be around for a little longer to be accepted! smiley - smiley

New person!

Post 10

Clover

Ah, sage advice... I might hang around the peer review section for a while I think.
May I ask how you guys got involved with H2G2?
And how long you've been around?

Clover smiley - smiley

New person!

Post 11

Rho

I found about about h2g2 from the Salmon of Doubt! There are quite a few sections that end with "Suggestions please to www.h2g2.com" and www.h2g2.com links to here! smiley - smiley

I've been on h2g2 since 16th September smiley - ok

RhoMuNuQ smiley - smiley

New person!

Post 12

Tango

I found out about it when i saw the launch on Tomorrow's World over 3 years ago. I signed up the day after. You should probably be around for a few months before volunteering. Guru's need to have been around longer than that really, scouts should probably have something in the edited guide first, although they don't have to. Sub-eds just need to have read a lot of edited entries to get an idea for how to do it. Artists can probably sign up quite soon. Oh, and i forgot ACES, same as gurus really, experience is needed.

I hope to see you around a lot, you look like just the kind of researcher we need, enthusiastic and ready to help! smiley - smiley

Delta

New person!

Post 13

Clover

Thanks Delta!

I first heard about h2g2 when Douglas Adams came out to Australia in 1999. He gave a talk and mentioned it (and signed my copy of the original HH radio scripts!). He also talked about a HH movie, and said that they were in the process of casting, but I haven't heard anything more about that...

You guys are all so friendly!

Clover smiley - smiley

New person!

Post 14

Tango

The movie? It's been in planning for years, who knows if it will ever happen?

Delta

New person!

Post 15

Clelba

yay! new person! smiley - biggrin
*waves to clover*
^. .^
= ' =
Gurus
</.CommunityArtists</.>

New person!

Post 16

Clelba

yay! new person! smiley - biggrin
*waves to clover*
^. .^
= ' =
Gurus
CommunityArtists

New person!

Post 17

Clover

Hi Clelba!

smiley - smiley

New person!

Post 18

Tango

You should learn from Clelba's mistake, don't try to stop a post after clicking "post" to make a correction, it posts twice. smiley - smiley

Delta

New person!

Post 19

Clelba

smiley - nahnah
(i knew it was going to post twice, i just wanted the correction to be there smiley - winkeye)
^. .^
= ' =
Gurus
CommunityArtists

New person!

Post 20

Amy: ear-deep in novels, poetics, and historical documents.

*wanders through as an ACE and a Guru*

Just thought I'd come by and say hi, Clover. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post