A Conversation for The Unknown Warrior

Peer Review: A866306 - The Unknown Warrior

Post 1

Mina

Entry: The Unknown Warrior - A866306
Author: Mina - A824465 - U290

If anyone can help out with other 'unknown soldiers' around the world (and a way to list them without constantly repeating myself), then I will be very grateful and will add them to the entry. smiley - ok

A866306 - The Unknown Warrior

Post 2

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

All the Allies buried an unknown solider after WWI-

Belgium's is in a tomb at the base of the Colonnade of the Congress in Brussels and Italy's is in front of the monument to Victor Emmanuel II, the first king of a united Italy, in Rome. I think they're the only two missing from your list. You might like to mention that a flame always burns at the French grave too.

I spotted two typos in the Canada bit:

"Canada's Tomb if the Unknown Soldier" Should be 'of'

"is is in front of" one of the 'in's needs blowing away.

As to how to avoid repeating yourself, sorry no idea. The way you've done it however, makes it sound like they're all the same one! By saying 'he' all the time, I mean.

"One was chosen to be the Unknown Warrior, and was placed in a plain coffin and sealed. The unchosen bodies were reburied. "

I don't suppose anyone knows *why* he was chosen? Morbid I know, but I would have thought one mouldering corpse looks pretty much liek another smiley - huh.

"It bore a plaque inscribed 'A British Warrior who fell in the Great War 1914-1918 for King and Country'."

What did, the coffin or the sword? The way it's written, it sounds like the sword... I don't think that's right tho'?

"part of a cortege a mile long."

I know what a a cortege is, but not everyone does. The rest of the entry is very good for explainitory notes, so one here might be nice.

Where you list the forces, Royal Navy, Royal Air Force etc, the army looks a bit, well, pathetic. Doesn't it at least deserve a capital letter?

Other than that, smiley - ok good job.

smiley - ale

smiley - ale

Post 3

Stuart

An interesting and moving story Mina. As an ex-serviceman I can appreciate the sentiments expressed.

A story that I heard was that there were five individuals who actually knew the identity of the unknown soldier. Of course they were sworn to secrecy and have probably taken the secret to their graves by now.

A note might be added that the British reciprocated the presentation of the Congressional Medal of Honour and presented the Victoria Cross to the American unknown soldier at Arlington National Cemetery.

Stuart

Post 4

Stuart

Oh Yes. I to think that Army should have a capital letter in this context.

Stuart

Post 5

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

Mina, a good idea so close to november 11.
As far as I know there is no official tomb with a unknown soldier in the Netherlands, just a lot of graves with 'an unknown soldier'.

In the former Dutch east Indies, there is one near Bandung called Pandu, together with an unknown civilian.

Further I found Warsaw, Pilsudskiego square.
Bagdad, a satelite picture
Athens, Syntagmata Square.
Also in Belgium Hasselt "Kol. Dusartplein"

I also found a moving poem about the unknown soldiers dying in the battle of the Grebbeberg, May 1940 in the Netherlands.
I cannot give the link, as it is in Dutch.

"I have stood before the marble graves
in Brussels and beautyfull Paris,
here speaks no marble its cold tale
just sand, as grey as death"

(my fast translation of one strophe from the middle)

Post 6

Mina

Thanks for all the comments. smiley - smiley

I've done the typos, and will add this extra information this afternoon (hopefully). I think that I'll change the list at the bottom to simply towns and places, so it's simpler.

If all the allies have them, maybe a list would be too long. I could pick out a random selection, any thoughts on that?

Post 7

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

I'd suggest a simple list of nationalities and towns where each Unknown Soldier is buried. I think including as many as you can find is only right and proper.

Other than that, not actually a lot to say. Excellent stuff.

smiley - shark

Post 8

Demon Drawer

I also think that there is a german one on Under Den Linden.

Post 9

Mina

I've done another update. smiley - smiley I've addressed all the points in this thread (I think), and added a few more to the list at the end.

Post 10

Demon Drawer

I'll dig up details on the German one for you= just to check.

Post 11

Mina

Thanks very much. smiley - cheers

Post 12

Demon Drawer

Need to shout at the person with the references books.

Post 13

Marjin, After a long time of procrastination back lurking

Just a small update. The former Dutch East Indies are called Indonesia now.

I suppose the Dutch don't have one is because we were lucky to stay out of WW I.

Post 14

Mina

smiley - blush I've fixed that now.

Not all of these are to commemorate the World Wars, although most are. Some are for local wars. Perhaps I should mention that.

Post 15

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

Most excellent and topical, Mina.smiley - ok

I do like topical entries, though I fear this one may be a little too late for this year's Remembrance Day. smiley - sadface

Syntagmata? the main square of Athens is called Syntagma (means Assembly or Constitution).

A little research has dredged up the following, which may or may not be of any use to you.

The inscription on the tomb in W Abbey is in capital letters, and reads:

BENEATH THIS STONE RESTS THE BODY
OF A BRITISH WARRIOR
UNKNOWN BY NAME OR RANK
BROUGHT FROM FRANCE TO LIE AMONG
THE MOST ILLUSTRIOUS OF THE LAND
AND BURIED HERE ON ARMISTICE DAY
11 NOV: 1920, IN THE PRESENCE OF
HIS MAJESTY KING GEORGE V
HIS MINISTERS OF STATE
THE CHIEFS OF HIS FORCES
AND A VAST CONCOURSE OF THE NATION

THUS ARE COMMEMORATED THE MANY
MULTITUDES WHO DURING THE GREAT
WAR OF 1914-1918 GAVE THE MOST THAT
MAN CAN GIVE LIFE ITSELF
FOR GOD
FOR KING AND COUNTRY
FOR LOVED ONES HOME AND EMPIRE
FOR THE SACRED CAUSE OF JUSTICE AND
THE FREEDOM OF THE WORLD

THEY BURIED HIM AMONG THE KINGS BECAUSE HE
HAD DONE GOOD TOWARD GOD AND TOWARD
HIS HOUSE

I think it might be nice to quote at least some of that. I know you quoted the last bit at the top. Perhaps another quote at the end?

The one in Moscow is by the walls of the Kremlin.

In 1958 the bodies of two more unknown American servicemen were placed in the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington. One died in WWII and one in the Korean War.

The 'Unknown' from the Vietnam War was later identified by DNA testing as USAF Lieutenant Michael J Blassie, KIA in 1972.

Post 16

Sam

Dear all, assuming this entry gets finished in time, would anyone object if we fast-tracked it through PR in order that it may appear in the Editors' Selection on 11 November, Rememberance Day?

Sam.smiley - smiley

Post 17

Stuart

Good idea Sam, most appropriate.

If anyone objects I'll send The Cheshire Regiment around to sort them out.smiley - biggrin

Stuart

Post 18

Demon Drawer

I see so us plebs slog our guts out and wait for scouts to pick and subs to get their act together. I don't know yet write something topical with a sloping name and bold type and they rush it through.

Is this a democracy or a despotship? smiley - winkeye

Post 19

Sam

Ha! We're a dictatorship and you've been summoned to the gallows, young man.smiley - smiley No, seriously, we're just asking the Community if they will make an exception for this entry out of respect for Remeberance Day. The issue cropped up because of the very close timing of the entry and the date in question. It would seem like a sensible idea to be a bit flexible here in order not to miss the opportunity of putting up Mina's entry on the 11th.

Now, bearing in mind we'll execute you if you object, DD - can I ask you, do you have any objections? smiley - winkeye

Post 20

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

PEDANT ALERT-

November 11th isn't Rememberance Day, the closest Sunday is. November 11th is Armistice Day. Trust me here- the 11th is my birthday smiley - smiley

smiley - ale

Key: Complain about this post