A Conversation for Two Hundred Years and Two Modern Heroines

The right to vote

Post 1

ismarah - fuelled by M&Ms

Good entry about two good books smiley - ok
I´m presuming the author is speaking about English women and their right to vote being granted in 1928? Of course, you can consider that obvious, but as I keep saying, not all the readers here will be english... smiley - winkeye
cheerssmiley - disco ismarah the nag

The right to vote

Post 2

Chadsmoor Charlie

It obviously refers to the Englishwoman's right to vote, not because this is an English site but because the article is specifically about two English authors.

Charlie smiley - chick

The right to vote

Post 3

Chadsmoor Charlie

Brilliant article, by the way. I've loved Pride & Prejudice since I first read it (in fact, any Jane Austen) and I loved the Bridget Jones books too.

Charlie smiley - chick

The right to vote

Post 4

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

Mmm okay, well, I know that not all researchers are British, but considering the two authors, characters British and the books are set in Britain that it would have been obvious, I'm sure it can be changed though if you think it would be better for other researchers smiley - smiley

Em (ie the authorsmiley - winkeye)

The right to vote

Post 5

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

Oh and Bridget Jones and Pride and Prejudice are three of my favourite bookssmiley - smiley and I'm ecstatic that you liked my entrysmiley - smiley

The right to vote

Post 6

Catwoman

"Bridget is very lucky, feminism has given her a voice of her own and she makes a well-enforced argument on the subject,"

That's a joke right? Well-enforced argument?

The right to vote

Post 7

It was meant to be a bit of a joke, but she does give over her opinion relatively well - even in a seriously stumbled and bizarre manner - I mean it is Bridget after all, think about all that mixed metaphor stuff of "that's the kettle calling the pot dirty bottomed" or something to that effect...

for Bridget she manages a realtively well based theory on why people should vote labour.

in this situation she was flustered.

I think it was a fair enough comment to make.

smiley - smiley

The right to vote

Post 8

Catwoman

Mixed metaphor? Not getting your sayings mixed up? My dad does that all the time then.

(I'm not criticising, I love Bridget, I'm just checking that it wasn't meant to be taken seriously)

The right to vote

Post 9

I knowsmiley - smiley

It's just Bridget seems to know exactly what she wants to say to people in her head but as soon as she opens her mouth it all comes out wrong, this is what I was trying to get acrosssmiley - smiley

The right to vote

Post 10

Revcracker

Personally, I feel that this posting has given me a new appreciation for Bridgett Jones. I was not over-keen on the movie, but never thought of it in comparison to Pride and Prejudice until now. That puts things nicely into perspective.

Cheers!

Rev.

The right to vote

Post 11

The thing I didn't like about the film is it took out some really important aspects of the book...don't get me wrong, I loved the movie, Colin Firth was brilliant (and gorgeous) Hugh Grant was exactly as I'd pictured Cleaver and Renee Zwellweger was great as Bridget (and looked far better with a bit of weight on her)...

But it missed out all about her mothers activities, and completely changed the ending, which I thought was a real shame.

It doens't even really occur at first that BJ is based on P&P, I hadn't thought about it until I read P&P a few weeks after finishing both BJ novels, but there it was.

Mily XX smiley - smiley

The right to vote

Post 12

Revcracker

I really do find this amazing!

I wonder if Bridget Jones will be regarded in the same literary light as Pride & Prejudice in 50 years time!

Could happen...!!

Regards,

Rev.

The right to vote

Post 13

smiley - laugh I doubt Bridget Jones will be regarded in quite the same light as Pride and Prejudice, but it'll vertainly be a book that'll last in my opinion.

I mean it does represent so many aspects of womans attitudes...

ach, it'll always be a favourite for me, I don't care if anyone else remembers itsmiley - smiley

The right to vote

Post 14

Revcracker

I don't know...!

How was Pride and Predjudice received when it was first published? Does anyone know?

Do books automatically become classics? Some, maybe, but others I think have to grow on people - like Catch 22.

regards,

Rev. smiley - ok

The right to vote

Post 15

Mmmm, maybe thensmiley - smiley

I mean the first edition of Pride and Prejudice was rejected by the publishers.

The right to vote

Post 16

Revcracker

Well, there you are!

It's just possible this is a classic in the making!

Goodness!

regards,
Rev. smiley - ok

The right to vote

Post 17

My favourite books of the past few years have been Bridget Jones (as it has been for a lot of people) and High fidelity by Nick Hornby, great books (I'm not big on heavy books, I like funny books that won't make my head explodesmiley - winkeye)

The right to vote

Post 18

Revcracker

Know what you mean!

When it comes to fiction, I'm a Terry Pratchett fan myself.

Something tells me that I'm going to end of reading Pride and Prejudice as well as BJ before this is over (I'll get my wife to nuy them!).

regards,

Rev. smiley - ok

The right to vote

Post 19

I've just never been a big reader, and when I used to read books it would take me weeks just to get through a few chapters...then I read Bridget Jones, it took me two days because I literally couldn't put it down, then it took me another couple to get through the sequel.

It did however take another 4 days to get through Pride and Prejudice...my mum on the other hand, reads loads and all sorts of books, she couldn't get through Pride and Prejudice...smiley - weird

Bridget Jones, well it's just a wonderfully funny and absurdly exaggerated portail of all womens idiosyncrasies crammed into one character.

Or at least in my opinion.

The right to vote

Post 20

Catwoman

P&P is better?
Yes/no?

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Two Hundred Years and Two Modern Heroines

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more