This is the Message Centre for Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

Summer of 2007...

Post 1

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

Well that was fun! smiley - erm

To summarise...

999 - Emergency Response Guy - Paramedics - Intensive Care - week in respiratory ward - ASTHMA! (no previous asthmatic history).

2 weeks later and notice to quit flat of 10 years - smiley - yikes - flat found 6 days before eviction deadline - ££££££££ (thanks mum and dad!) - more ££££££ - 10 days ago I get new expensive home.

Stressed?! Moi?!

Summer of 2007...

Post 2

Steve51

smiley - sorry to hear of your problems, Mort...smiley - hug Are you smiley - ok healthwise now though? I have also recently gone through an illness...kidney stones...smiley - sadface. When I recovered I received the news that my younger brother had tried to do himself in, so I got sick and stressed again....but, all is sorted now, I Hope....smiley - smiley

I think a large number of must have crossed our paths recently....smiley - laugh

Summer of 2007...

Post 3

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Asthma? Blimey, that was a sudden discovery to say the least! Hope you're okay and if you have an inhaler now I hope it's not too stinky to breathe in smiley - hug

So where's your new flat? And when's the housewarming? smiley - disco

Summer of 2007...

Post 4

I'm not really here

And all that happened over the summer? smiley - hug And we were all oblivious! I hope that they told you that now you have asthmatic issues you shouldn't take aspirin, or anything related. Normally they don't tell you until you end up in hospital after taking it for something innocent, say, a sore throat or a headache.

smiley - cuddle

Summer of 2007...

Post 5

Stephen - sorry things have been bad for you recently smiley - hug

fords!!
Hello sweetie - congrats on the [not so] new arrival!

I have moved to The Shore - well not one of those uber luxury apartments overlooking it, but a couple of streets away from it in a redeveloped warehouse complex thing.
I am on the third floor - but yay - it has a lift! (just as well!)
I may have to sell my body to pay for it though smiley - erm

CS - any tips appreciated.
I have to say I don't think I have ever been so scared. Living alone and waiting for the paramedics was terrifying, I had a bronchial spasm just as I heard the sirens and thought they would be too late.

I still get the creeps now when I hear a siren.

I have 2 of these new fangled disc inhalers - full of powder. If I cough after taking them then I get a mouthful of it - and it tastes like cardboard!

Summer of 2007...

Post 6

zendevil

Gawd, at this rate they are gonna have to dedicate whole ICU Asthma crisis units specially for us hooters aren't they? You, me, Seraphina, PC....just off the top of my head the ones who have had recent "oh dearie me, how jolly inconvenient; i am unable to breathe."

Yeah, total pain living alone in this sort of crisis, i could no way gasp in French on the phone & thankfully the GP was within staggering distance; whereupon i went a delightful shade of blue & collapsed. Once they revived me, my only concern was who would look after Yoda of course...

Easy to say but you probably won't; but try & pace yourself with moving stuff, if you get just a small basic space which is comfy, let the rest wait. You do get used to the puffers quite quickly, try & get them to let you have several, so there's always one within reach.

smiley - goodluck

zdt

Summer of 2007...

Post 7

I'm not really here

"I have 2 of these new fangled disc inhalers - full of powder. If I cough after taking them then I get a mouthful of it - and it tastes like cardboard!"

Go back and get the, er, 'gas' inhalors. They are much better!

Sorry to hear it was so dramatic for you. smiley - sadface Asthma can be scary - I hope the paramedics starting treating you asap, and were gentle with any needles.

Summer of 2007...

Post 8

Ah, I think I know what redeveloped warehouse thingy you're on about; I hear they're very nice so well done on getting one smiley - smiley

Summer of 2007...

Post 9

Steve51

Apparently the two countries where asthma is most prevalent are Australia and Scotland. I don't know where Mort is from, but in Australia the native flowers are highly pollinating, yet I don't know or didn't know that Scotland had as many flowering plants as most other nations. Either way, asthma must be an affliction which causes a lot of suffering. Take care please, Mort, and smiley - goodluck

smiley - hug, Stephen

Summer of 2007...

Post 10

Sounds like you're describing hayfever there, not asthma smiley - smiley

Summer of 2007...

Post 11

Steve51

No fords, definitely not hayfever. Look it up for yourself if you wish, but it is a proven fact. Asthma is quite prevalent here in Oz, I was just surprised that Scotland was also high on the list as well....

Stephen

Summer of 2007...

Post 12

That is bizarre! I learned something interesting myself when I was in Melbourne. One of the main roads, Nicolson Road, apparently get so polluted that there is a more than average cancer rate along that road...

Summer of 2007...

Post 13

I can officially say that moving is one hell of a stresser.
I finally got my broadband sorted. I was using 'pay as you go' dial last time I posted.up

Summer of 2007...

Post 14

I tried the gas type inhalers when I was in hospital and I didn't have enough strength to work them!

I keep a seretide and a ventolin by my bed and also one in the of each in the living room.

I had to get the flu vacc the other day too, cos of the asthma.

I still haven't got my head round it really. I have convinced myself it was a one off episode. Although I do get shocked at how weak my lungs are now. But they are getting stronger.
It hurts to hold my breath smiley - sadface

I know, must give up smoking...

Summer of 2007...

Post 15

I'm not really here

smiley - cuddle

Not nice when you find out - I was 19 when I 'got it'. I blame diesal. Now I can't go for a nice walk in the crisp cold air without wheezing and coughing when I get back indoors. smiley - sadface It's one of the reasons I keep my house so cool.

Will they give you some help giving up smoking, or aren't you seriously considering it yet? I know some people have said that their asthma gets worse when they give up. Not sure if that's just them saying it though.

Summer of 2007...

Post 16

I'm not really here

Did you see this btw? F74125?thread=296362#p54862909

Summer of 2007...

Post 17

Mister Matty

Somehow I managed to miss this thread! smiley - sadface

That's quite scary - I didn't know asthma could be "uncovered" when someone is in their thirties, I thought it was a childhood-to-adulthood thing.

Glad you're better. I will try and drop in and see you at some point. I think it's been over a year now...

Key: Complain about this post