This is the Message Centre for Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

Poor Spiggy

Post 1

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

I have just had to leave my cat Spiggy at the vets. He has been sick for the last few days and had diarrhoea, which didn't clear up with dietary management.
He had bloods done and his liver and kidneys are ok but he is dehydrated and has a low lymphocyte count. They may do a differential blood count later.
He is going on a drip for 2 days. He is at the hospital i used to work at so i know he will be well looked after, but he is 15 and a half years old so i am very worried. The vet gave me a big hug as i burst into tears - that's the trouble with having vet knowledge - i am thinking of things like lymphoma. But they are going to treat it as bad G/E and see how he gets on. Phoning at 4pm for an update.

Poor Spiggy

Post 2

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

smiley - hug

thinks of get well thoughts for Spiggy

Poor Spiggy

Post 3

nadia

smiley - hug for Spiggy.

Bigger smiley - hug and smiley - choc for Mort.

Try to think of the things most likely to be wrong rather than the ones you most fear.

Speckly.

Poor Spiggy

Post 4

Tabitca

smiley - hug Oh Mort. Poor spiggy. But remember when oedipussmiley - cat was very ill this time last year..he's an old puss cat too and he recovered!I'm sure spiggy will fight to get well, he's much loved and has every reason to livesmiley - rose Thinking about and hoping. positive vibes to both you and spiggysmiley - star

Poor Spiggy

Post 5

Latest report - he has eaten a bit (he let the other cat eat his fresh chicken breast yesterday - unheard of) and not been sick yet, have to wait and see. Nothing passed yet but he hasn't got anything in his system to come out.
Bless my little boy! He chewed his drip out smiley - laugh I should have warned them he would, but they have him on another one now, which seems to be still in (bet they put a bucket collar on him!)

He had his heamatology re-done and the vet thinks it isn't that significant. He may get to come home tomorrow even if he isn't 100% as they know I can look after him at home. But the most important thing was to get a drip on him.

So that is a better news, fingers crossed for a good night for him. Place seems empty without the little monkey. Wee-one is keeping her distance as she is wondering where Spig is.

Poor Spiggy

Post 6

Researcher 554770

Glad Spiggy is a bit better, hope he is even better tomorrow smiley - smiley

smiley - starStar

Poor Spiggy

Post 7

The nurse just called me to say he has had another meal and hasn't been sick. He is very sulky as he has a 'buster collar' on (bucket cone thing)

Speckly - what you said was very wise. And right. i am so easy giving advice to others but when it comes to my own pets i fall apart! Typical owner and a client from hell smiley - laugh

Thankyou everybody for your smiley - hugs. Means alot to know that people understand how daft we can get over our pets. Of course non-pet owners will think i am mad, but i don't care as i love my little purry friends.

Poor Spiggy

Post 8

Researcher 554770

I always get too emotional when a pet gets ill or dies smiley - sadface
I cant even begin to tell you how many pets i burried in my back garden as a child!!

Poor Spiggy

Post 9

I know.
I used to deal with it ok at work, it's not that you get immune to it, but you sort of displace the feelings and then now and again it gets to you and you have a good cry.

I don't know if I can cope with all that upset again. I think it probably added to my depression. I suppose when/if i go back to work again i will find out smiley - erm

A career change can be so difficult though.

Have to wait till 9am to phone about Spig, so fingers crossed.

Poor Spiggy

Post 10

Researcher 554770

So how is the little Spig today then, all ok? smiley - hug

Poor Spiggy

Post 11

smiley - biggrin
I have just been and picked him. He is so pleased to be home again. He even gave my other cat a kiss instead of batting her over the head for being in his air space. She nearly went into shock! smiley - laugh

He isnt totally better but he is looking much more alive than he did. Just have to wait and see if this recurrs - which would mean something sinister smiley - sadface

But he is happy and well today and that is what I will concentrate on.
And his 24 hours in hospital has cost me £150 smiley - yikes

But I would pay double that if I had to. Paid £80 and will do the rest next month.

Poor Spiggy

Post 12

I am so glad ...keeps on sending get wellthoughts to Spiggy

Poor Spiggy

Post 13

Tabitca

I'm so pleased he is ok. smiley - hug Keeping everything crossed he stays
well!smiley - oksmiley - blackcat

Poor Spiggy

Post 14

Researcher 554770

Well i hope he will have no more problems with his health... and the sake of your bank balance! smiley - yikes Its a lot of money, but when they are part of the family its worth it smiley - hug

Poor Spiggy

Post 15

So far so good (touch wood). He has been eating well, although he is on small meals often and scoffs them down! He barely pauses to breathe when he is eating!

Everytime he goes to 'the little boys room' I have to follow him to see what he is passing. Because he was on a drip it means he is peeing quite a bit so I am up and down more than a smiley - bleeps smiley - bleeps!!
smiley - laugh

Poor Spiggy

Post 16

Researcher 554770

Aw its like having newborn baby smiley - laugh as long as hes on the mend is the main thing smiley - smiley When will he be off the drip?

smiley - starStar

Poor Spiggy

Post 17

He came off it yesterday but he still has alot of fluid in system. It has corrected his dehydration, what is needed to replace intra and extracellular fluid has been absorbed and the rest is used as water normally is, and has been flushing out his system. Means that he has alot of pee!

He did a almost normal poo, just a bit sludgey (proper medical term that smiley - laugh) too, so that is good news!

I know everyone is probably thinking - "too much information", but as vet nurse I am so used to going into these details that sometimes I forget others aren't smiley - laugh

Had to chase him from my other cats food (dry biscuit type) yesterday which was on top of the bunkbed. Thought he wouldn't notice it there - but he did! He is on a special diet at the moment so I panicked but i think i caught him before ate too much.

Poor Spiggy

Post 18

Spiggy has his own page here - A989814 with links to pics.

Am I a cat softie or what! smiley - blush

Poor Spiggy

Post 19

Tabitca

awww Spiggy smiley - cat is lovelysmiley - hug I'm a cat softy too. Got pics of mine all over the house.

Poor Spiggy

Post 20

awww....2 smiley - catsmiley - lover

it is sounds Spiggy is getting better..doing lot of tricks

Key: Complain about this post