This is the Message Centre for Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

Oh no - the cats gone mad!

Post 1

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

Spiggy smiley - blackcat has gone mad. i have been a bit naughty, what with one thing and another, i have not picked up his meds from the vet. He has missed 3 days worth of them now - clomipramine - and he has gone mental. He has been hyperactive (which is quite sweet really when he chases round like a kitten but at 14 and a half his joints cant cope with it!) and chasing my other cat smiley - blackcat who is much more agile than him even though she is only a year younger. So its bedlam here.

Next he will chew his leg to pieces (and i mean pieces - its taken the last assault on it 2 months to heal smiley - sadface), after that follows the inapropriate elimination ie he will pee in places he shouldnt.

Last night he was paddling his paws in my hair and got horny smiley - yikes and i mean i COULD SEE that he was! He was castrated at the age of 7 months but the adrenal glands produce sex hormones, so in stressed cats they will over produce them and you get this sexual behaviour - alot. Poor cat doesnt know whats going on cos after he gets 'excited' he goes freaky and attacks my head!

It's my fault - oops. So i have to go round to my ex work and pay £12 for a bottle of pills for him.

Little angel is sleeping like a baby now! Bless him!

Post 2

Tabitca

oedipussmiley - cat who's at least 12 ,since recovering from being really ill..now races up and down the stairs like a looney every morning. He used to just sleep beforesmiley - erm perhaps he is glad to be alive???
spiggy eating his leg though is a bit horrid..poor cat. My mum had a dog that used to chew lumps out of itself..i think it was a hormone thing...poor animals.smiley - rose for spiggy.

Post 3

Patron Saint of Kittens... aka Pantherlady THE Werepanther of h2g2 and Queen of BBNs

well... my cat kelly only sleeps but at 17 thas not suprising. She has a thing for choccie though smiley - cat x

Post 4

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

awww!!!

Post 5

Meg

My 2yr old cat bites the base if his tail. It's like neurotic over-grooming. He nibbles at it for ages and it's quite bald. The vet thinks it's a nervous condition but he's got a good life. I suppose animals are just like people with their personality traits.
Are the meds working yet, or is your head still in fear of another smiley - lovesession?

Post 6

Well i thought they were! His elbow has healed up but over the last 2 days he has chewed the back of his knee/thigh to bits smiley - headhurts He used to do his back leg until he decided his elbow/armpit was better so this is a surprise.

The vet is right, it is stress, but cats are weird. Mine are spoiled rotten but the strangest thing can upset them and they can appear happy and do silly stuff like that. Mine does it cos i have another cat, even though they get on - apart from jealousy for my knee sometimes. Changing cat litter can be enough to disturb Spiggy. Cat behaviour problems is being more and more recognised.

I felt really guilty at first but then i realised it was nothing i had done, and i have to try to reduce the things i can that could cause him upset. However my other cat is now showing signs of stress smiley - headhurts

I dont know what set her off. I wonder whether it is the change in routine - me being at home for the last few months rather than working. Still it is beyond me..think we all need the black leather psychiatrist couch smiley - laugh

Post 7

Lady Neugen Bigeyes;Owlatron`s thundercat;Researcher of the hyperlink;Honorary Muse of card-senders

Allergies,Sir.Mort,allergies!In Santa Barbara,where I used to live*sigh*,smiley - dog & smiley - cat would chew themselves to pieces-so they can be neurotic as well as allergic-just like ourselves!!smiley - laughsmiley - sillyNeugensmiley - bigeyes

Post 8

Certainly allergies can cause cause problems - unlike humans who tend to sneeze at everything thay are allergic to, cats and dogs show signs as skin problems. Things like carpet freshener can be a problem, or even food additive/gluten intolerance will present as skin irritation but this is a more generalised atopic response although it will be most noticeable in the 'ears and rears' areas!!

This is self induced ulcerating chewing in specific places (always the same until he decides to swap!) and can be timetable to triggers such as someone coming to stay for a weekend or me upsetting his routine such as different cat litter or staying up all night instead of going to bed smiley - blush

Another behaviour is sexual activity - again a common symptom of a stressed cat (he is neutered)

I think we have to face facts that we are all mad in my house!smiley - winkeye

Post 9

Meg

I think my Kippersmiley - cat is in the neurotic category as there are no signs of rash etc on his skin. He is very strange anyway. I wonder if his birth could have caused him some sort of neurological dammage? Or if he's scared by our older cat?
Sir Mort, what are you doing awake at this time again?

Post 10

I am doing some subbing. Taken me a couple of hours to do one entry so far but it is nearly done so i am pleased... If i hear one more negative comment about the subs then there could be trouble smiley - winkeye

Actually i have swollen glands and a sore throat so i went to bed this afternoon and didnt get up until 11pm (probably as i took two sleeping pills - but dont tell the doc!)

I am terrible if i get a cold - such a wimp, as bad as a man smiley - laugh

Post 11

Lady Neugen Bigeyes;Owlatron`s thundercat;Researcher of the hyperlink;Honorary Muse of card-senders

Allergies,my friend,allergies!!I spent my kintergarden year home from school because I`m deathly allergic to pine-trees.The school nurse was convinced I was simply ill-would not take allergic reaction as an explanation for my body`s reaction to the surrounding pine trees.My parents moved 12 mls. inland-to oak trees-& I didn`t sneeze again!! Nsmiley - bigeyes

Post 12

Allergies,my friend,allergies!!I spent my kintergarden year home from school because I`m deathly allergic to pine-trees.The school nurse was convinced I was simply ill-would not take allergic reaction as an explanation for my body`s reaction to the surrounding pine trees.My parents moved 12 mls. inland-to oak trees-& I didn`t sneeze again!! Nsmiley - bigeyes

Post 13

Meg

Sorry about the cold. Sleeping tablets have their uses don't they. Haven't taken any for years but they sure used to help!
Must go now as my shift is nearly finished and I still have loads of paperwork to dosmiley - yikes
I'm back tonight if you're still nocturnal
Megsmiley - rainbow

Post 14

I blame going out on Saturday the Scottish Reseachers meet smiley - ale and picking up something there!

Post 15

Meg

You must have let your guard down! Take care.

Post 16

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

try to make your house smell like forrest for while and you drink chamomile smiley - teasmiley - winkeye

Post 17

Tabitca

maybe they are picking up that you are upset at the moment? my smiley - cats always notice if I'm not 100%.I think they worry about their owners..you know that they may lose you or be abandoned..Oedipussmiley - cat hates being left alone for too long because he was abandoned before we got him.The smiley - cat s are amazingly calm at the moment even though we are packing...I am waiting to see how the move goes thoughsmiley - erm
Take care of your selfsmiley - hug

Key: Complain about this post