This is the Message Centre for Vicki Virago - Proud Mother

Is winter just around the corner?

Post 1

Vicki Virago - Proud Mother

Yes, I know. Got a while to go yet before we hit winter, but next doors tree is shedding it's leaves.

The poor thing is whithering away. It's leaves all shrivelled and dry. smiley - sadface

Now, I know you're about to say that we're in a drought at the moment and it's no wonder, but we're built originally on marsh land.

You don't have to go down far to hit clay and water.

I wonder if the tree has some kind of disease now. It's a beautiful tree (although annoying when next door puts food out on it for the birds during the winter and the husks get stuck to our car - it's next door to our drive way).

I've suggested to my next door neighbour to water it...not at it's trunk, but water the grass...lots! Hopefully water can seep down to the roots to bring it back, although I don't know if it can come back from the damage already done.

As I said earlier, we're built on marsh land so I don't really think it's anything to do with lack of water.

Poor little tree.

Post 2

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

what kind of tree is it?

any odd / not belonging looking things on it?

Post 3

I don't know what kind of tree it is. It has fairly big leaves for it's size and it bears berries during the winter.

The leaves are a kind of soft green too.

Post 4

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

do not know...so no odd / not belonging thing?!

Post 5

Not that I can see.

There's a bit of moss or something on the trunk, but it looks quite natural to me.

It was fine until this hot weather came through. I can only think it's something to do with that, but I really can't understand it being thirsty because of the marsh land *scratches head*

Post 6

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

It is possible the builders put in a lot of drainage systems .. so the tree could be without sufficient water.

We have had to water the roots of the silver birch this week, the leaves were withering too.

Mum xx

Post 7

smurfles

We had large poplar trees in the drive(one was 70ft.high)and when we had the hot spell in 96,the water dried out of the clay(we've lots of clay aroud here).The trees were thirsty,and the roots went looking for water,and crushed the drainage system under the drive and corner of the house.We ended up with subsidence,and it cost the insurance a fortune to sort it all out!!I don't know if this only happens with poplars,but they chopped them all downsmiley - wah!!!
Could be worth finding out what sort of tree it issmiley - winkeye

Post 8

Researcher U1025853

If it is heat damage, then trees can suffer damage without showing it for a few years. So it could be suffering from upto 10 years ago I think, if its a big tree.

Post 9

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

i know what type of tree it is................ a wooden one smiley - winkeye

Post 10

It's only a little tree (well, sort of)

It was planted when the houses were built (approx 11 years ago), so it's still young in comparison.

Post 11

Researcher U1025853

The last 2 or 3 summers have all been dryer and hotter than average, so maybe its mounted up and finally got too much. Poor tree.

Key: Complain about this post