To Whom It May Concern

2 Conversations

How to stay young, happy and freeMy Dad

February 27th, 2003


Dear Sir or Madam,



They say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing but they also say knowledge is power. Then they tell you that ignorance is bliss. So which is it? Some say you've got to know the facts before you can make a decision and others say sometimes it's better not to know. smiley - wow Who ya gonna believe?



It seems that nearly every story has two or more sides. At first, one side of a question might appear to be right, and then the next minute someone else says something that seems to make more sense. Suddenly the first side seems completely wrong. And then some third party offers yet another perspective and we just don't know what to think. smiley - erm



All sorts of pressure is put on us to take sides in dozens of issues from trivial matters of dress code to the more serious matters of war and peace. Too often, too many people simply go with the flow and take the path of least resistance. That's probably why so few people actually vote anymore and why democracy is in trouble everywhere.



Anyone who has ever been a child or a teenager smiley - bigeyes knows full well that peer pressure can overwhelm any personal conviction, taste or opinion. Going along with the gang, supporting the team and fitting in, is often more important than voicing any opinion or questioning anything that is already perceived as cool.



For years the War of Drugs campaign has been trying to make this point. They encourage young people to "just say no to drugs". They acknowledge that this is difficult and requires courage to say no, but they claim it is possible to buck the pressure and think for yourself. By establishing that a 'no' position requires strength of individual will, they are able to appeal to many young people. Within predictable statistical limits the campaign has had some success.



One of the most important elements in converting individual opinion is to show that there is still safety in numbers on the other side of any question. This works for attitudes on drugs and opinions on every political issue. Nobody wants to be on the outside and everybody needs some sort of group support no matter how special their interest.


Obviously all this also applies to consumer product choices. Brand managers and marketers go one step further in the illogic. They want you to believe that by expressing your strong individual will you gain a safe place in the company of the majority. They try to demonstrate that not only do more strong individualists make the choice to use their product but they are all now healthier, sexier, richer and happier as a result.


So whether it's trucks, religions or political issues, the trick always is not to lose sight of the issue or the product in the chaos of competing voices. Is a Chevy Truck really better than a Ford? Then how come Ford sells more? And what about Dodge? Oh yeah right, get outa Dodge.



For every opinion on anything there is an equal and opposite opinion smiley - wizard ..as well as several people trying to sell you something. So whatever decisions you face, or think you have to face, make sure to get all the advice you can find, listen to all the prevailing wisdom and then make up your own mind.

Or better still,smiley - winkeye stay flexible and keep an open mind. The uncommitted are always being sought out to give their support on any and every issue. It's the people with 'no opinion' or 'no preference' who get all the free samples and invitations to take test drives or be in a focus group.

So keep your money in your pocket and your heart off your sleeve. If you never commit to anything and always suspend your judgement then you're always prepared to flip either way. And you'll stay younger, prettier and happier, longer.

smiley - peacedove


My Mom
peace,
~jwf~








To Whom It May Concern
Archive

27.02.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A978906

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more