A Conversation for Oxford, Ohio USA

Peer Review: A965685 - Oxford, Ohio USA

Post 1

quizzical

Entry: Oxford, Ohio USA - A965685
Author: Quizzical - U216391

This entry is a companion for A965630 (WOXY: 97-X Oxford, Ohio).


A965685 - Oxford, Ohio USA

Post 2

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

This entry looks pretty much ready to go - well done Quizzical smiley - ok

There's a problem... well, two problems with your link to the Miami University entry. Firstly, it's a broken link - you've got the A# in as 965849. The correct link is A965649. The second problem is that it's not an edited entry yet (though having read it I'm sure that it will be), and you can't link to unedited entries in edited entries.

This poses an interesting chicken-and-egg question; can you cross-link two entries and submit them to PR on the chance that they'll both be picked? I guess the thing to do would be to leave it as is and let the Sub-editor take it out or leave it in during the editing process.

"Miami boasts a variety of men’s and women’s sports teams..."

I think the correct usage here is to lose the apostrophes. As 'men' and 'women' are plural, what you mean is 'teams which are comprised of either men or women' as opposed to 'teams which belong to men and teams which belong to women'... but don't quote me on that smiley - winkeyesmiley - spaceIf correct. It would make 'mens' a plural plural, and I don't know if you can do that smiley - online2longsmiley - space Maybe "Miami boasts a variety of sports teams for both men and women..." would work better?

smiley - cheers


A965685 - Oxford, Ohio USA

Post 3

Number Six

Gosho - on a side-point, when submitting entries for the Guide, do you (or anyone else) know if it's possible to get them linked to FROM existing entries?


A965685 - Oxford, Ohio USA

Post 4

Number Six

Quizzical - do you mean 'Friends and family members' rather than 'Friends and families members', by the way? Also, perhaps details of the nearest airport or rail link might be a nice addition in the end section?

Looking good, though.

smiley - cheers


A965685 - Oxford, Ohio USA

Post 5

quizzical

OK, I fixed the broken link and the "men's and women's sports teams" (by removing the words "men's" and "women's" - sometimes the best way to fix a problem is to avoid it altogether). I also reworded the section with "friends and families" - not sure if it's better, but it's wordier...

I liked the idea of adding info about railway and air links, except there aren't any. smiley - smiley The closest ones are in Cincinnati, about an hour away. Maybe I should state that explicitly?

(We Americans haven't quite gotten the hang of this public transportation business except for inside the largest cities; we're very dependent on our cars.)


A965685 - Oxford, Ohio USA

Post 6

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Yes, you can link from existing entries, as long as it doesn't require too much (or no) re-writing. If you've found an existing entry which could use a link to a newer one, put your suggestion here <./>Feedback-Editorial</.> and the italics will consider your proposal. More often that not it's accepted smiley - smiley


A965685 - Oxford, Ohio USA

Post 7

Sea Change

What's a quit rent? What happens if you don't pay it?


A965685 - Oxford, Ohio USA

Post 8

Number Six

Sorry about that, Quizzical, I got sidetracked.

I'd still put the rail/airport information in... Cincinatti might be an hour away, but that doesn't sound too bad to me - I live in North London, and the vagaries of traffic or public transport mean it takes an hour to get to any of the London airports from my house.

Although that probably says more about London than anything else smiley - winkeye

Is there a bus or coach service to get you to one of the bigger cities?


A965685 - Oxford, Ohio USA

Post 9

quizzical

OK, I'll add info about rail and air connections from Cincinnati. I should get that finished this weekend.

Nope, no coach or bus service (except holiday service provided by Miami University's bus service). As I'd mentioned, we're very dependent on our cars in the States (folks who don't/can't drive are really stuck). A person could hitchhike smiley - smiley but that's risky even in a nice, sedate place like this - too many crazies out there.

And I better change "quit rent" to just plain "rent" to prevent confusion... I'll double-check the legalities. It can get a bit weird: folks can own their houses but not the land the houses sit on. Not sure what happens if they don't pay rent, except it will involve lawyers. We have almost as many lawyers as cars in this country. smiley - sadface


A965685 - Oxford, Ohio USA

Post 10

quizzical

Just updated the entry. I added information about air, bus, and rail service to cities around Oxford, as well as a footnote defining "quit rents".

Two entries down, one to go...

Quizzical smiley - cdouble


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 11

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Oxford, Ohio USA

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more