The Douglas Adams Funding Trust - an Update

2 Conversations

This article contains important news from Douglas' brother, James Thrift


For a while we have been trying to find a way of remembering Douglas in a way in which draws upon his many passions, including science/music/technology and literature.


We have therefore created the DAFT fund (Douglas Adams Funding Trust) to organise events related to the above, and to raise funds for his favourite charities and other projects. The first DNA memorial lecture is to be on March 11th (Douglas's 51st birthday) and given by his
great friend Professor Richard Dawkins, entitled 'Queerer than we can suppose: The strangeness of science' in aid of Save the Rhino and The Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund, the two charities of which Douglas was patron.


There are plans, unconfirmed at the mo, for one or two other well known individuals to say a few words, and to conduct an auction of one or two fantastic items.


While Rick Mueller and Joel Greengrass were travelling around making the recent documentary they asked all the contributors to sign two copies of Douglas's omnibus, well they have kindly been donated to be auctioned on the night!. Fear not if you cannot make it to London, those terribly nice chaps at the BBC have agreed to broadcast the event online, and we are currently discussing ways to receive online bids so no one should miss the chance to get their hands on these gems.


The lecture is at 7.30pm on March 11th at The Royal Institution, Albemarle Street, London W1. Tickets are £15, and I will post details of how to get hold of them once they are available.


This is hopefully going to be the start of many DAFT events, all given in nature and spirit of Douglas. I hope at least some of you can make it.


Regards


James

'Queerer Than We Can Suppose: The Strangeness of Science'

The first DNA Memorial Lecture by Professor Richard Dawkins in memory of Douglas Adams:

11 March 2003, the Royal Institution, London W1

All the info and how to order tickets at

Douglas Adams Continuum

Sent in by The Duke of Dunstable

13.02.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A965513

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more