A Conversation for To Whom It May Concern

I saw this movie!

Post 1

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

And you were the skeevy guy! eeeeew! Gross!

smiley - winkeye
Mikey


I saw this movie!

Post 2

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

* walks by slowly... pokes at the word 'skeevy' with a very long stick.. decides to check with the Brit Eng folks http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/F19585?thread=100569&post=2992283#p2992283 before saying another word *


I saw this movie!

Post 3

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

I believe skeevy would be an American slang term, possibly unfamiliar to someone over the age of 35 or so, although I've heard that the original derivation is Italian, and that the American slang form was in New York quite a few decades back.

It seems to be most often used by adolescent to college-aged girls in reference to lecherous older men. Here are some good references on the 'etymology':

http://archive.salon.com/books/col/keil/2001/07/24/late_starter/
http://www.filtersmag.com/cgi-bin/Slang/read.tcl?string=skeevy
http://www.csupomona.edu/~jasanders/slang/csrps.htm

smiley - laugh
Mikey


I saw this movie!

Post 4

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Hmmm... It seems no one at BritEng has ever heard of skeevy. This may be a good thing. Personally, I thought it might be a variant of 'scivvy', a lowly and potentially untrustworthy workhand.

The other origins suggested by your links - Italian or Hawaiin smiley - yikes - seem unlikely, but there is no question the word has a phonetic resonance - smiley - musicalnote skee-eee-vy smiley - musicalnote - that is quite appropriate to the generally accepted meaning - creepily lecherous.

Anyway, at least now I know what it means so I can properly thank you for your appreciation of my talents. I am truly gratified that my brief appearance on screen was sufficient to convey that impression, which was of course the dramatic intention of the film smiley - winkeye.

While actually being 'skeevy' is far from the realities of my personal life, your choice of the word is a true compliment to my acting abilities, for which I thank you.

smiley - ok
~jwf~


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more