A Conversation for Talking Point: A Good Read

Jerome

Post 1

johnny_utah

I absolutley adore 'Three men in a boat' and 'Three men on a bummel' by Jerome. I am a prolific reader and they are amongst the few books I have read over and over, simply because they make me cry with laughter every time I read them. Both were written over a century ago and are quite timeless. It is fantastic to know that lads goofing around when they get together is something that will never change.


Jerome K. Jerome

Post 2

Number Six

Hear hear! I think I might nip back and edit my top 10 list of books, actually!

I first read 'Three Men in a Boat' when I was quite young, and Jerome's style of writing struck me as quite the opposite of what stuffy Victorians were supposed to be. I don't know whether it's by luck or by judgement, but nearly everything he talks about - or the way he talks about it - seems just as fresh and relevant today.

I suppose it's because he's writing about the Human Condition, and that's never going to change...

smiley - mod


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more