The h2g2 Winter Meet 2003 - Lightman

0 Conversations

November 2002

In a moment of complete madness, I sign up for the Winter meet Jan 2003. I have to admit here I'm not the one who jumps at the opportunity to be in a room full of friends, sober or otherwise.

With an eye on h2g2 pages I watched with interest, the ever expanding list, of the RSVP'S along with choices of activities that may or may not happen on the day.

Christmas passes, New Year gets off to a bang and suddenly it's a week before the meet. Having survived the traditional ills of Christmas I suddenly succumb to the symptoms of FLEW! Aching head, soar throat... I do not need to continue. Simply I felt rough! Was this a way of not going and meeting some of the names I have spoken to?
Would I have to RSVP Abi Sending apologies? Thankfully Thursday evening having finished work at 21.00 remarkably I was feeling a lot improved. Friday was to Badge making day! Nothing now was going to stop me attending the Winter Meet 2003.

Saturday:

After going on line to read final details I read the do's and do nots of meets. Have a large breakfast was one piece of advice I found particularly useful. Heading to the fridge, to find the cold cupboard was bare. A trip to the local provider for all those things that is bad for one was necessary.

Rushing home I create a wonderful fry up, finally with a Cappuccino coffee I partake in my Saturday morning treat breakfast, while watching a time shifted TV Program. As I laze around, my thoughts turned to the italics who will by now I felt sure would be making last minute preparations. All I had to do was get put on the glad rags, and imbibe in a final pasta lunch before the of.

Travelling by Tube (thankfully not the Central Line) I alight at Holborn wondering if any one of my fellow travelling companions were fellow h2g2 members heading for Somerset House? None were. Turning Left there in the centre of Kingsway is Bush House bejewelled with its BBC logo and flags, just beyond is I know Somerset House.

After a short walk I'm standing on the Strand just outside I peered through the formidable 18th century vestibule of Somerset House, with the Courtauld museum on the right. It was akin to looking though the open wardrobe and sighting the enchanted land of Narnia for the first time.

Through the arch, I spied what looked like an orderly cue for the skating, approaching a little closer I view a person in a brightly coloured hat, and people carrying towels. This could only mean one thing I had found the h2g2 meet, but which one was Abi?

On the London Walk

A moment of looking spotted two likely looking people, in which direction I made my way. Correct! Abi and Mina introduced themselves, making me feel most welcome, at which point Abi kindly relieved me of one crisp ten pound note. In return I received one voucher. Entitlement two drinks and food at Penderel's oak, not forgetting a genuine h2g2 pen. (Rather suspicious I thought, wondering if I would need it for the pub quiz?)

During the preceding week I had been watching the weather forecast, praying that it would be a sunny afternoon, allowing the much looked forward walk around London's secrets places, which Abi was to lead. The weather did not let us down. The air was crisp and sunny but more importantly devoid of rain!

At around 14.30 Mina's group made their way to local pub to play board games. Abi began her magnificent tour by giving us the lowdown of Somerset House. Did I hear Abi correctly? as she spoke of the west wing pointing to the right? (What was it I learnt in the boy scouts? 'Never Eat Sweets Will') Perhaps I was confused. Moving through mainly quiet streets Abi revealed some of London hidden by time, and lots of interesting relevant history.

I thought I knew my way around London, but Abi soon got me lost, even if we were no more than a few hundred yards or so from well trod paths I have walked many times. Abi you promised surprises, you lived up to those promises, I was not let down.

We were going to finish the tour at John Soames museum, however it was getting late, and we were quite a large party, not able to slip in a couple at a time. This part of the tour had to be rescheduled. Like all good mystery tours, we ended up at a public house, in our case The Shakespeare's head where Mina had frequented earlier in the day. The h2g2 Party seemed to be growing larger all the time.

The Walkers just had enough time for their first round of preferred libation, before Black suited Masons arrived in force, making the queues for libation, nearly impossible. Still there was plenty of time to chat before we decanted to the Penderel's Oak some 10 minutes walk away.

The delectable Abi

With tokens exchanged, beverages flowed, a time to chat and mingle and more chat, before the food arrived. Around this time a certain Duck named Zak was Ducknaped! Who would have done such an unspeakable act, to a fine looking Duck!

Time no more played on my mind; phone switched off and no real desire to look at my watch, I was having a good time, and the evening not yet over. Still contained within a pocket one voucher still remaining.

The delectable Abi mistress of ceremonies dressed in black, (was this an homage to Ann Robinson?) called out to prepare for the quiz. Frankly I was a little lost at this time, When I was invited by AGB to join the team which was to become the originally named 'Our Team' who would say that we were going to be such decisive team!

Abi announced the first Question, fighting with a microphone that gave more pop, than the bar staff measured out all evening. Eventually all questions were asked, all answers marked off on the answer sheet. For fairness each team marked an opposing teams answers. With each revaluation on an answer it was greeted with shouts of joy or exclamation, as the teams marked the answer sheets.

Archangels and the new teeshirt

Abi is real a star quiz mistress, inflicting breaks to keep a sense of tension, eventually the third position was announced, their prize brand new h2g2 mouse mats. And second place with 21 correct is 'Our team'. We made our way to the front to collect a genuine h2g2 Mug. Great I thought just the thing to drink coffee from at work on Monday. Only to get one in my hand to be asked by Mina that the mugs had to handed back. Easy come easy, well you know the rest. The new second place winners came and collected the mugs. Moments later 'Our team' was announced the winners the prize was to be tee shirts. Three Cheers for all the winning team I say.

After I made my way home, I know I had a good time, no a great time. Lots to do, lots of fellow researchers to meet.

You may have noticed that I have not named names; this is not that I have forgotten to whom I spoke, due to an alcoholic haze, It takes me a little time to remember names, but I cannot forget you.

Thanks Abi and Mina, and all who made this h2g2 experience so enjoyable. Question: Will I be attending another Meet? I'm sure you have guessed...


Yes!

Roll on the next Meet.

Lightman

h2g2 Meetup Photo Archive: London January 2003

30.01.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A950294

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more