A Conversation for Chechnya

Picky little comments about the Chechnya article

Post 1

dracoverdi

The phrase, "It was conquered by tsarist Russia in the 19th century despite fierce Russian resistance" in the second paragraph leaves me confused about who is conquering who. I would think that the second instance of the word "Russian" should be replaced by "Chechen" or that the sides should be differentiated in some other way. Not that you can't conquer yourself.

There is a missing space between "which" and "a" in the phrase "brokered in whicha decision on Chechnya's staus" in the third paragraph under the heading "The First Chechen War of Independence 1994-6" Also, in the same phrase "staus" should be "status" I think.

I'm an American, Californian actually, so my British English is probably not current, but under "Recent Developments" shouldn't the phrase "the Russian government again seeked his extradition" be "the Russian government again sought his extradition"?

Under the heading "The (Very) Short Peace" You might further develop where these attacks took place in Russia and why they were so unsettling to Russians, that is what brought Chechnya "home" to Russians.

Also, it might be good to explore the element of Islamic culture in Chechnya since it is being used by Russia and the USA to tie the complex Chechen situation to 9/11 terrorism. This connection has made it difficult for Americans see the Chechen side of the issue as they might ordinarily have been expected to. Not that that is necessarily one of your goals with this piece. But I think that Putin and company jumped at the chance to declare the Chechen rebels terrorists to justify attacking them.

I did say they were picky comments.


Picky little comments about the Chechnya article

Post 2

combattant pour liberte

Thanks for the help


Key: Complain about this post

Picky little comments about the Chechnya article

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more