A Conversation for English Rose VI

Water Makers

Post 1

The Stinky Cheese Man

I notice that John has two 'Water Makers' aboard the English Rose VI. Can anyone enlighten me as to how these work? Are the desalination devices or condensation/rain catchers? I'm fascinated.


Water Makers

Post 2

Sam

I'm not sure, myself. I'll see if I can find out for you.smiley - smiley


Water Makers

Post 3

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Nephew Who tapping on his console
"The skipper already gave us a link to the manufacturer of the fresh water generators ( http://www.spectrawatermakers.com/options/catalina/catalina.html ) As far as we understand they function by pumping pressurised water trough a filter membrane. This must be a special filter as most of the salt 'particles' should remain in the sea water. By pumping 10 liters of sea water you get a cup of fresh water (just a guess). The remaining sea water has become a little more salt."

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on his head
"They have two systems, one powered by electricity from the generator (24V 7A5) and onother propellor powered on a line ( and hose ) behind the yacht."

Susan Winkle aka Nephew Who coiling some ropes and strapping them to the stern railing
"Those towing generators is why the stern always looks messy if they come into a harbour."

Sailor in Time standing behind the steering wheel
"I have done a couple of years of maintenance on yachts I would not like to run the generator day and night, I prefer the towing one."


Water Makers

Post 4

Sam

Beepo,

This just in from Nick Grainger, communications guru on the English Rose. They've just docked in Tenerife. He's currently in an Internet cafe:

"Watermakers - yes we have both sorts, but are not actually using either - we have enough water for each leg through being frugal anyway. They were installed for JR's single handed passage around the world plans. Our longest leg is only six weeks - we are living on 3 gallons a day."

Hope this helps,

Sam.smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more