A Conversation for John Ridgway Save the Albatross Voyage 2003-4 : Introduction

News from Julie in Wellington

Post 1

JMcDougall

Hi Richard, thanks for sending that last msg to English Rose. Hope you dont mind but here's another msg for the crew. Thanks. Julie

Hi there English Rose, I've enjoyed reading the daily log esp all the bird sightings, thats fantastic. Also good news about the generator, Francois, vous etes vraiment formidable!

Brent starred as "Petrel Head" in Capital Times this week with a full page article and a pin-up picture, ear rings and all.

I guess you will have heard that the bookmaker Ladbrokes is organising a Big Bird Race where albatrosses race each other to Cape Town, ETA August/September. So the plight of the albatross is getting more publicity.

Nick - I had a chance this week to listen to one of the cassettes that your kindly copied for me - of course I listened to myself first - was quite spooky, hearing my voice from 30 years ago, so English, like the Queen, not the kiwi accent that I guess I have now. Quite emotional listening to it. Hope to listen to the other cassette and look at the CD this week.

MC - the hibiscus has happily settled into my room in Karori - thank you - currently I have two flowers out at once - brightens up the room esp when it is rain rain rain as it is today. Hope its better weather where you are?

The highlight of my week will be seeing (rain permitting) Shakespeare's The Tempest at the Dell (behind the rose garden) at the Botanic Gardens on Thursday evening. Its definitely got a Pacific Island flavour - I interviewed the director Saturday morning for my Masters thesis (whoops havent got approval from the Ethics committee yet) - more on this once I have seen the play.

Best regards to you all

Julie McDougall


News from Julie in Wellington

Post 2

JMcDougall

Hi Richard, please can you download this to the crew on English Rose at some stage, not urgent,thanks, Julie McDougall

Congratulations on rounding the Horn and reaching Port Stanley safely, thats a great achievement, well done.

I have enjoyed reading the daily log and keeping up with your progress and with whats happening on board, makes interesting reading.

What a great idea to have a night ashore, what a treat for everyone (except Nick, tho he gets to be home alone on the boat I guess).

News here is that we have had a really bad summer, wind and rain. Hurricane force winds here in Montgomery Avenue one day - blew me off my feet when I was out for a walk (hadnt realised how windy it was) -first time thats happened to me. Measured at 167 kmph at Mt Kaukau which is not far from here.

Nick, that must be a thrill to see Tabarlys boat. Thats something you probably didnt expect. We never know what tomorrow may bring!

When is Brents wedding? Please pass my best wishes to him and Adele for me. I enjoyed meeting them in Wellington. How will you manage without Francois and Brent on the next leg? I dont suppose there's much chance of picking up crew in Port Stanley? Is John (reluctantly?) taking over as bird monitor?

Best wishes for your stay at Port Stanley and for the next leg

Julie McDougall


I have finished my summer job at the university and have had my MA proposal accepted so am now into the swing of being a student again.


News from Julie in Wellington

Post 3

Nick.Grainger (AU)

Hi Julie, and everyone,

Good to hear from you and I'll pass on all your messages.

Now have access to a PC and Internet link in the Falklands Conservation office just by the pier here in Stanley where we are tied up, so will now start to work through the website here and answer correspondence and update pages etc. The link isn't too fast, but at least its possible.

People here very welcoming which is great.

Cool and grey though a few bright days.

We're all a bit dazed to be back on land and with other people. Sometimes our shipboard routine seems easier.

Nick


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more