A Conversation for De Myelin Nation

Died with their boots on?

Post 1

zendevil


Oh yes, oh yes. This makes me FUME!!!

Most folks with any sort of handicap involving the legs have great dependance on the feet which dangle at the end of said yukky legs to support them. Very often, the associated mobility problems mean that it really, truly, is bloody impossible to "do the correct thing" & keep footsies in good condition.

Try it: Combine: Legs with wasted muscles/nerves that don't do what you tell them/ultra sensitivity &/ or total non-sensitivity.Probably difficulty in bending down. Add water. Soap. Sharp edged cutting things. Recipe for disaster unless someone is on hand to help you. So you put it off. Result: Very yukky feet, which adds to the problems, big style.

So the two little anchors get neglected & "oh quelle surprise!" the person ends up unable to walk at all.

Sick. Blealgh. puke. Stupid. So easy to sort.

I am rotting from the toenails upwards & can't do a thing about it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6950259.stm

Seethe, seethe, seethe.

zdt


Died with their boots on?

Post 2

pedboy

I hear you loud and clear.
I have the fortune of a nurse who comes in once a month to do a check on my blood , and at the same time she takes care of my nails.

It was several years of whinging and whining to get this in place through my local VON(Victorian Order of Nurses), I hope you find a solution soon.

smiley - zen
smiley - towel

pedboy®


Died with their boots on?

Post 3

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

Feet are a huge deal!
The nursing homes my friends have worked in say that podiatrist day is the biggest happening there.

It is very hard for some to do and very dangerous when infections and injuries can be common before or during foot care if you have the wrong person.

It takes a very special person to do this care. It is considered critical yet routine care here. I am surprised they have treated you this way Terri. Bummer- they should know better.


Died with their boots on?

Post 4

zendevil


Hi abbi, hi pedboy.

*sigh* I doubt anyone except folks with probs like ours realises what a vast difference it would make; it probably seems so bloody normal to most people, but for those with nerve stuff it's totally essential.

I managed to "clip my claws" yesterday 'cos it was a "good leg day"; so that meant i could adjust my sandals & get to the shops (it wasn't raining for once this summer, so less chance of slipping on cobbled pavements)...the sandals are great, but can't really wear them all through winter; i tried once & got so many comments about "aren't your feet freezing?" & found it impossible to explain "Well probably, yes, but since i can't feel them, who cares!"

zdt


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more