A Conversation for 24 Lies a Second: Passing the Baton

There's been endless discussion about what was left out of the movie

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Leonard Bernstein burned his candle at both ends, and suffered a shorter lifespan (72 years) than his mother and brother, who lived well into their nineties. A movie could have ben made about his musical theater work. A movie could have been made about his work as an international conductor. The movie that *was* made alluded to these other things, but zeroed in on his family relationships, which required the casting of a formidable actress to portray Felicia. Their relationship was based on love, as the movie showed in the late scenes when Leonard was caring for Felicia in her terminal illness. Leonard may have sought sex outside marriage, but the one person he loved was his wife. When my friends complain that the movie leaves too much out, I argue that trying to cover every aspect of Bernstein's life and do justice to it would have made the movie too long to be watchable.


Key: Complain about this post

There's been endless discussion about what was left out of the movie

More Conversations for 24 Lies a Second: Passing the Baton

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more