The h2g2 Post 20.11.23

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 20th November 2023

 This week's title is Light and Dark Place. Clockwise from upper left: The wall of Callejon de Sangre, or Blood Alley, where blood ran in the 16th Century during a fight between townspeople and pirates on the island of Lanzarote, A statue of Jesus riding a donkey which appears to be going downstairs in a church, surf splashing against rocks, banks of votice candles, A black street musician in sunglasses with polkadot frames looking up at the sky, a yellow-and-green and a blue-and-white budige, newly come from the nest, a recreated Viking longhouse, a mist-covered conifer forest, and a crenellated fortress on a rocky hill.

'This also has been one of the dark places of the earth,' he said didactically...

Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

This week we look at places light and dark.

FWR has been exploring and brought back a blood-curdling piece of history. Tavaron, too, has been observing history, in its recreated form. Her view was safe for the kids, though. Bluebottle has a lighter take on historical records, pun intended: he's found an ironic warning on a label. It's all food for thought.

Meanwhile, this week's Focus on Art asks many aesthetic questions and may even answer a few: how much does the mood of a photograph depend on framing? Does recurrence create artistic depth? Can art be accidental? Just what is that boat doing in that wall? Most significant of all, which is cuter, a Dalek or Yog Soggoth? Delve into these topics, art critics.

Nature has been generous to us this week in the bird department. FWR found some gorgeous ones. Willem is informative as always. We even have bird video – Hoggetts experienced the phenomenon of murmuration thanks to an attractive cornfield. And speaking of video, check out SashaQ's mallards on this page.

There's humour and a quiz, as usual. Be sure to see what Bluebottle's cooked up for you: this story's approaching its thrilling conclusion, and I have to say that I am in awe of the elegant plotting. Nothing 'old bat' about this vampire story. Soon, a new chapter in the saga will begin.

Also check in with Awix. He's reviewed an interesting-sounding film and even managed to work in the word 'oneiric', so reading it will make you smarter.

We invite you to read, leave comments, and share this stuff around. Have a great week and remember: the word 'Fall' is a warning, not an instruction. Watch out for wet leaves.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Cover for The Building, DG's new book, available from Lulu.
You have a friend who
NEEDS THIS BOOK.
Buy it now!



Quote of the Week. The solution is not to fight against the hate.

The solution is to love so much, with enormous passion and fire, that we create a world where hatred cannot function.


Alicia Anne Creger
Tombstone and trees.


November 2023 Post Challenge:
Tales to Make You Shiver


Video Extra:
Bathtime for Mallards
Click here in Ripley


BIRDS!
Monias

Monias by Willem.

STRAY THOUGHTS

FOCUS ON ART

Sea Study

A series of lampposts leading to the sea.


LORE OF YORE




Phenomenon
Statue of Jesus on a donkey in a stairwell at a church, by FWR.
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
A GOOD LOOK


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88037896

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more