A Conversation for Nature Shapes

I can almost smell those ferns

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

My father used to complain because ferns had replaced the grass in his front lawn. Grass is overrated, in my opinion. Usually the types of grass that we plant are nonnative, requiring too much watering and prone to turning brown in the dry Summer months. In my father's case, the grass was doing poorly because of so much shade, which the ferns thrived (throve?)on.

When I was in Hawaii, I saw a tree fern, and was told that it was a very ancient species. Grass is a johnny come lately! smiley - tongueout


I can almost smell those ferns

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Yeah, ferns are ancient.

I know what you mean about the grass. Our yard is a nice mixture that has dandelions and blue and purple wildflowers in it in season, also clover. The pollinators and other wildlife are happy and it looks much better than that other stuff.


I can almost smell those ferns

Post 3

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.


I like the green and brown pointy things.

Ferns thrive underneath our trampoline. Our grass cycles through knee length / mud / desert / yellow stalks each year (in no particular order). Brambles also like our back yard.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Nature Shapes

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more