The h2g2 Post 07.08.23

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 7th August 2023

Montage of images from this week's issue: background, a deserted train platform. Arranged against the backdrop are places to go and things to see: the Beccles town hall, Moss Bros men's shop windows in Norwich, a peacock butterfly perched on a support, an informational sign with a poem about Diss and a photo of John Betjeman, a road sign for Skelton Road from Diss, a baroque corner building with ornate terracotta features (where it is, is this week's quiz), and a public trash bin that also allows you to electronically vote on things. The title for this week is wherever you go, there you are.

Do those photos have your head spinning? Imagine how I feel. Paigetheoracle has been visiting in Norfolk. Frankly, my inbox has been getting surreal. The madness has been passed on to you, with explanatory notes.

The onslaught of images from places I've never even heard about (I didn't believe there was a town called Diss, at first) underlines the point I keep trying to make about h2g2: when we say we're compiling a guidebook to Earth, we mean it. And when I tell you that the view of quotidian reality out your front or back window, which bores you silly, would seem exciting and exotic to someone from another place? I mean that, too. In the coming weeks you will see more of exotic Norwich – and other exotic places, too, as many as we can find. Stay with us, folks.

Speaking of truly exotic places, Willem is back with a report on some of his recent exploratory outings – but not all. Some are so secret, he can't tell us about them. (One word: poachers.) But what he can show you is utterly amazing. The movies may have Indiana Jones and tv Steve Irwin, but neither of them has been photographed petting a plant. You have to see these pictures – which is easy. Just click below.

The fiction continues to get weirder. Tavaron's intriguing scifi mystery, 'House of the Morningstar', concludes this week. You'll like this, so be sure to read it. The other two will soldier on for a few more weeks (there are rumours of aiming for the magic number of chapters).

It's true: we serial writers lament the passing of the day when readers clamoured for the next instalment. The story about the crowd that gathered on the Philadelphia waterfront for the latest Dickens chapter, only to have their hearts broken by the cry, 'Little Nell is dead!'? Oh, man. That's something you can only dream of in the internet age. But be nice: read the stories. You'll enjoy them.

There's lots to see in the flora and fauna department. Paulh has a garden tour. FWR saw an owl. I watched some ducks and have the video to prove it.

So read, enjoy, share with everyone you know. Send us things: we like to be amazed.

Have a great week out there, and remember: you are the only person who can see the world from your particular vantage point. Observe as if you needed to report it to the Recording Angel. Pay attention: there might be a quiz.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Mailbox.
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Quote of the Week: History is history. It is not what we choose to make of it and there can be no greater anti-patriotic act than hiding or manipulating the actual history of a country.

– Kurt Eichenwald
A refined lady playing the piano.


August 2023 Post Challenge:
A Piano Mystery


Video Extra:
Sheep Safely Grazing in Austria
by Tavaron
Click here in Ripley


PLANTS AND THE CREATURES THAT LOVE THEM
Exploring in South Africa

Willem and a Euphorbia pulvinata.

MENTAL SPACES


THE WONDERS OF NORFOLK


These Are Signs: Diss

Sign for Bellacre Close, by Paigetheoracle.


WINGED, FURRED, OR DIGITAL?




Duckswim
(Video)

Congregating ducks by DG
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
SERIAL KILLERS
Ongoing Novellas


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88033962

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more