Balance of Probabilities: Chapter 36

1 Conversation

Balance of Probabilities: Chapter 36

Scales of justice and DNA.

And that was exactly the order in which they came.

Hundreds at a time. Two thousand troops gathering, meeting little resistance. Thousands more followed as the Tube worked 24/7. Numbers swelling even more, as they strolled across Society.

Everywhere, families weeping in the streets of the Megacities as news travelled over the swiftly commandeered coms,

"Your babies are alive and well, come out and join them, you are in no danger, please come out, march with us, stop this insanity once and for all!"

By the time the armies reached area 4, word had spread globally.

Millions of mothers and fathers lined the Tubeways, straining to catch a glimpse of their loved ones, holding out screens with the names of babies presumed gone from them forever.

As the wave of humanity swept across the world, Society, the Agency, even the CoDE bowed meekly before it.

Change was coming. Society Databases provided names, dates, families were reunited after so very long.

Who knew whether it was changing for good or bad.

Was it possible to live in a world where crime may re-emerge?

What were the chances that they could live peacefully, safely, in a world where violence and deceit may lurk around the corner?

What was the likelihood they were letting murderers into their homes?

Nobody cared, they were willing to take the chance on the balance of probabilities that life would be better with their children in it.

The End
Post Novella Project 2022/2023 Archive

Freewayriding

24.07.23 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A88033449

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more