A Conversation for Deep Thought: Of Squirting Cows and Other Illegal Memories

Wilford Brimley? Is he a Dirty Old Man?

Post 1

Bluebottle

I must admit I had to read that twice, as at first I pictured Wilfred Brambell of 'Steptoe & Son' fame (also 'A Hard Day's Night'). I'm still picturing Steptoe, to be honest...

<BB<


Wilford Brimley? Is he a Dirty Old Man?

Post 2

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Wilford Brimley appeared in commercials in the U.S. for Quaker oats. The slogan was "It's the right ting to do," meaning that eating oatmeal was a good way to reduce your cholesterol. Lots of other plant foods have soluble fiber that will bind to cholesterol and shepherd it out of your body, but Quaker oats saw a chance to sell some oats. Oh, well.

Eating oats doesn't seem to preclude diabetes, though, which Brimley suffered from. I guess there's no magical food that does everything


Wilford Brimley? Is he a Dirty Old Man?

Post 3

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.


Moving around the country has given me a definite lack of any dialect. (people typically think I am from somewhere else regardless of where I am.)


Wilford Brimley? Is he a Dirty Old Man?

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - laugh


Wilford Brimley? Is he a Dirty Old Man?

Post 5

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I've met people who doubt that I'm form Massachusetts because I don't talk with a Boston accent. My mother's midwestern accent is partly a cause for this. My father, who lived in or near Clinton, Mass. all his life, worked on his accent to make it less pronounced.

To be honest, it's hard for me to do a Boston accent. I live in Boston, and hear that accent all the time, but I don't always know what people are saying.


Wilford Brimley? Is he a Dirty Old Man?

Post 6

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.


Accents are usually thicker in the workshop than in the office. To get stuff done quicker you sometimes have to move with it.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Deep Thought: Of Squirting Cows and Other Illegal Memories

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more