A Conversation for Deep Thought: Why 'We' Know Less Than 'We' Used To (At Least Some of Us)

Speaking of falling buildings...

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

John Silber, the late, mostly unlamented former president of Boston University, used to talk about the "tremble factor," a rule in ancient Rome which made architects stand under bridges they had designed. If the bridge was unsturdy, and fell, it would fall on the person who designed it.


Speaking of falling buildings...

Post 2

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.


Survival of the fittest engineers / architects. I've heard about that one.

The single most important goal of my job is to try and break stuff, so that it won't do that once in production. The joy of being a test engineer is that if it doesn't break, everybody is happy, and if it does, it is usually interesting to find out why. So there is no actual downside.

For some reason I got a case of 'Row, row, row your Botham' from that Ur-flat-Earther.


Speaking of falling buildings...

Post 3

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

My late dad was a civil engineer. He was very careful not to design things that would fall down. smiley - laugh

I kind of like the idea of being involved in what we called at uni 'destructive testing'. (It was our excuse for a lot of things, like 'I meant to do that.')


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Deep Thought: Why 'We' Know Less Than 'We' Used To (At Least Some of Us)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more