A Conversation for Deep Thought: I'm Not Listening

The Algorithm

Post 1

SashaQ - happysad

Wise words - thank you

I noticed a few weeks ago on Facebook I was being shown material that was the opposite of things I had 'liked' - I noted it, but otherwise didn't 'take the clickbait' and it has now evolved into material that I find more interesting. It does seem that if people react to the 'disliked' stuff, they get served with more of it and end up in a vicious circle of unpleasantness... 'Block'/'Hide' can be a friend indeed...

To avoid cliques, etc, we have to be careful about generalisation, too. The sentence "'Mansplaining' is a word used by openly female social media types to indicate their belief..." troubled me, and I think it is because the word can be used in that way, but it can also be used by openly female social media types to describe their experience in a society that has history of assigning more privilege to men's voices than women's. Not easy for the subtleties of the discourse to come across in tweets, etc though, indeed...

"only share the Good Stuff (that includes the h2g2 Post, of course)" - smiley - ok Yes, I like how h2g2 provides a way for us to look at the view from other people's windows on the world smiley - magic


The Algorithm

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - ok I absolutely agree that there was a genuine phenomenon that led to the term 'mansplaining'. And the people who first drew attention to it had a point - especially in corporate settings, I have no doubt.

People had ways of dealing with bumptious self-assertiveness in the hills when I was a kid - they could get quite, er, ironic... Corporations and other institutions could have taken lessons.

But I was seeing the term being overused and meme-ified, and sometimes used in a way that divides rather than encourages dialogue. Your mileage may vary considerably on that, what with the fact that we're in different countries and talk to different people.

And yes! It's good to keep in mind that philosophical quandaries are not easily resolved in tweet form. smiley - laugh


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Deep Thought: I'm Not Listening

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more