A Conversation for Video: The History Beneath

Napoleon's connection another town, this one in Massachusetts

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

In ida Tarbell's "Life of Napoleon"[in Project Gutenberg], mentions a man named Wilder who wished to bring napoleon to Bolton, Massachusetts for his exile:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/59322/59322-h/59322-h.htm

"Mr. S. V. S. Wilder, an American shipping merchant who lived in France during the time of Napoleon’s power, and who had been much impressed by the changes brought about in society and politics under his rule, offered to help him to escape. He proposed that the emperor disguise himself as a valet for whom he had a passport. On board the ship the emperor was to conceal himself in a hogshead until the danger-line was crossed. This hogshead was to have a false compartment in it. From the end in view, water was to drip incessantly. Mr. Wilder proposed to take Napoleon to his own home in Bolton, Massachusetts, when they arrived in America. It is said that the emperor seriously considered this scheme, but finally declined, because he would leave his friends behind him, and for them Mr. Wilder could not possibly provide. Napoleon explained one day to Las Cases at St. Helena what he intended to do if he had reached America."


Napoleon's connection another town, this one in Massachusetts

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - applause Good! Some Ida Tarbell research.

Nice, since she's on the Front Page this past week. A88003136


Napoleon's connection another town, this one in Massachusetts

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

The Wilder in the book is named for Wilder Road in Boston.

Thanks for the good words. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more