A Conversation for Colours of Wildlife: Vulpavus

Martens and fishers

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I live in Massachusetts, where members of the Mustelid family had had there ups and downs. Martens (mentioned in the above article) are represented by the Pine Marten, who requires terrain much colder than Massachusetts can provide. Northern Maine and upstate Michigan are where it can be found.

A related species, the Fishers (or fisher cats) do inhabit my state, and have made a fine comeback over the last century (yes, they can be mistaken for wolverines).

The Mustelids have some serious adaptability going for them, but they also stand to suffer form global warming.


Martens and fishers

Post 2

Willem

Hello and thanks for the comments!

We do have mustelids here in South Africa where it's generally quite warm. We have two species of otters, we have the Honey Badger, and two weasel-like and skunk-like animals, the striped polecat, and the striped weasel. At least those won't be affected much by global warming. But many things will ... I really hope we can put a lid on it.


Martens and fishers

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I hope so too.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Colours of Wildlife: Vulpavus

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more