Vienna 1880 - 13 On the way

2 Conversations


Meanwhile Elisbabeth and the children took the horse tramway to the city. The rails took some corners behind the imperial stables and passed the yet unfinished museums. The brick layers were still busy with finishing the walls of the twin sisters. On the ground, women mixed large quantities of plaster, others carried bricks up to the men.


Then, the streets made way for the large boulevard which encicled the old city of Vienna. It was the widest street Elisabeth had every seen. It was full of horses and coaches and people who just walked or hurried up and down the street. All the trees had fresh green leaves. The chestnuts sprouted their large white blossoms and in the parks all kinds of flowers poked their heads out of the ground. Decades ago the old bastions were still standing at this place. Now the boulevard and the surrounding sites was probably the most important building project of the country.


While the palace of justice still needed finishing touches on it's Renaissance columns, while the greek council of the empire was already in use for quite some time. The Gothic spire of the city hall already reached high in the sky while the university and the new theatre of the court were still buzzing with workers. Further up the road they passed the Ringtheater and the stock exchange building. And of course there were also privately owned properties for those who could afford them. Building here was a luxury and you wanted to be sure others looked at your building and saw how much money you had.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A88006232

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more