A Conversation for Najopomo 2020: Gravepicking

November 19: Past and future

Post 1

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Day 19

In the morning, the finishing touches are made to the grave. A layer of pebbles is spread over the floor, then the coloured and embroidered fabric is draped over the inside.

The body of Aggen is carried from the ice house toward the grave. Someone is slowly beating a drum. The carriers step in time with the beats. Long drawn out wails emit from a stringed instrument in the background. It could have rained, but it doesn’t.

The body is placed in a sitting position, with his back against the wall, overlooking the valley. One of his leather belts is used to ensure he stays upright. Yusna goes in and puts the last finishing touches in place, tears running across her face. She takes a last close look at Aggen’s dark hair and trimmed beard, the slender but athletic build (unlike his more bulky brothers). His usually tanned skin has turned a few shades whiter in sickness and death. According to Avi and Vinco, he just reached sixteen seasonal cycles.

In silence, the grave gifts are carried in. Pato donates one of his engraved bronze axes and a lava cup to annoy future archaeologists.

Yusna is supported by Bora and by her sisters when the grave is being sealed. Large timber baulks are laid across the stone wall, functioning as a roof. Eventually, the timber will be covered with a layer of earth and stones.

After lighting the watch-fires, everyone solemnly returns to the village to have a meal in Aggen’s honour.

Now that the burial is over, Pato, Aryna and Yusna start to discuss their plans to leave for the Northern Clan. Vinco and Avi join in, pointing out that returning before the next full moon may be essential for Pato to claim his place as Chief. It is Avi who proposes they go on horseback rather than walking or taking the wagon. In exchange he wants to keep the wagon. Pato promises that if the alternative route is feasible, he will return with the horses later and set up more frequent interchanges. According to Avi, they have to follow the river until the mountains run out, then turn west over a pass in the hills. After that they should run straight into the river called Malka. At least, that is what Aggen had told him after returning from one of his unauthorised hunting / trekking adventures.

The afternoon is spent gathering all that is needed for the trip home. Together with Vinco, they pick three suitable horses. Pato sees that this horse breed is a bit shorter and much stockier than what he is used to. He likes the golden brown colour with the black accents in the manes.

Yusna is helped with her packing by Bora, who imparts some extra knowledge that she deems useful for a woman coming fresh into her old Clan. She tells about the history stone, which she has handed over to Aryna.

When the night falls everyone goes to bed with mixed feelings. Sadness to leave this place, joy to go home and anxiety for what they may find there.


November 19: Past and future

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I like it! smiley - applause


November 19: Past and future

Post 3

minorvogonpoet

You've taken the research and made it live. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more