A Conversation for Najopomo 2020: Gravepicking

November 14: Crippled

Post 1

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Day 14:

Aggen wakes up disoriented, his head pounding and hot, then cold. Yusna gently helps him lie back down again, putting a cold piece of cloth over his forehead. She has him chew on pieces of barkskin to relieve the temperature he is having. She is pretty sure they are not going anywhere today. Aggen’s foot has swollen considerably overnight. If he survives the fevers, he will surely remain with a limp.

Pato stares at the crude roof of the hut. They have just woken up, after an interesting night together. It is clear he will have to rely on the knowledge of the other Clan to start planning his return to his own kin. On the other hand, he wonders if he will be able to identify if there are any relatively close relatives on this side that he can talk to. His mother came from this side, maybe there are lost aunts and uncles to be found, or nephews, nieces. Could Aryna be family? He will try to find out.

Bora tries to find out how well Vinco can endure tickling. So far he managed, but she suspects she is onto something when she closes in on his left armpit. Is that a tiny shiver? A suppressed laugh? Time to find out!
His scream sends the hens that settled on the roof running. Bingo!
Now retribution looms. Bora fills her head with birdsong and waterfalls… No, not waterfalls, not after yesterday. Just during this short break in her thoughts, Vinco strikes.
Hooting with laughter, they end up tangled in complicated ways until they both have no breath left and a polite knock of one of the elders brings them back to reality. There is need for some serious Chiefing.

Keela groans and tries to hide her head in a blanket. Why has nobody ever mentioned anything about the snoring? It’s not that it is loud… The irregularity and the disharmony is what has been getting on her nerves all night. Just when you think it will go on forever, it stops, only to return again two breaths before you would have fallen asleep. Nudging did have some temporary effect, but she is not sure Joni will enjoy seeing the bruises caused by the later, somewhat more aggressive attempts.

Once gathered for breakfast at Aggen’s hut, it becomes clear that the Chiefing will include hearing some disputes between members of the settlement. Pato finds that Vinco eyes him everytime he gives a verdict, seeking approval? Pato realises that his path to becoming Chief has been longer than for Vinco. Maybe he hadn’t even expected to be Chief, being the middle brother. Pato nods to signal he approves and sees relief and gratitude in Vinco’s eyes.

Given Aggen’s condition, it is clear that the group will stay here longer, so they spread out to find out more from the locals.


November 14: Crippled

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - applause! Really interesting stuff, this! smiley - biggrin


November 14: Crippled

Post 3

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Thanks. Did I mention that I have been ill last week, lying on my back, barely able to hold my phone for about four days? (not covid though). Given the comments probably nobody noticed.


November 14: Crippled

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - yikes Glad it's not Covid, but best wishes for a speedy recovery! smiley - cheerup That's good upside-down writing!


November 14: Crippled

Post 5

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Thanks.

Recovering nicely. I will probably be able to go back to work tomorrow.


November 14: Crippled

Post 6

FWR

Get well soon, don't let comments get you down! (been a thoroughly crappy week all in all here too!) smiley - cheers


November 14: Crippled

Post 7

minorvogonpoet

Hope you feel better soon. smiley - hug


Key: Complain about this post