A Conversation for Deep Thought: Nickeled and Dimed by History

Distraction

Post 1

minorvogonpoet

OK I'll admit it, I'm one of the oldies who can't keep up with all these changes. When organisations want me to put an app on my phone, I want to scream 'I hate my phone, it's too difficult to use!'

However, I want to argue these cultural arguments distract us from something much more important. The earth is in trouble. The climate is changing: ice caps are melting, sea level is rising, the Arctic is burning. Now what we can do about that is a difficult and complex question. However, I've been to meetings with Extinction Rebellion. Many of their members are young and, although they might use different expressions to me, I agree with their message.


Distraction

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I agree that the pop culture references are small change - that's what I was saying. smiley - laugh But we need to be able to talk to each other in order to tackle the very real problems. Which is what I was on about.

For most people, that takes patience and effort.

I'm with you on those apps - because they aren't secure. The phone is good for two things: emergency calling and taking a quick photo or vid. smiley - winkeye


Distraction

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I agree with you two.

There's my personal computer, and there's my landline. I tried an iphone, and was defeated by it within a week.

I might have fared better with an ipad, but there are other things taking up my attention now.

The Biblical age was supposed to 70. I've gone two years past that, helped along by various medications. More than I bargained for. Now I'm a crabby senior. I remember older people who seemed to complain a lot. I think I get why. Even a year ago, I wouldn't have.

We still have nice sunsets (and sunrises), roses, pretty dollops of snow on the tops of the Alberta spruces. It's not all good or all bad.

I genuinely like younger people. They are refreshing. I don't envy them for what they may face in the future.

Some of the very youngest may live to see the 21st century. Or not.

Life's afunny proposition.


Distraction

Post 4

Willem

I think you mean some of the very youngest may live to see the 22nd Century!


Distraction

Post 5

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

You are correct we are in the 21st century.smiley - blush


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Deep Thought: Nickeled and Dimed by History

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more