A Conversation for Bird Conspiracy Theory

Cuckoos do have a lot to live down

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

But after all, they are cuckoo.


Cuckoos do have a lot to live down

Post 2

Willem

I still wonder how that association came about ...


Cuckoos do have a lot to live down

Post 3

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

The online etymological dictionary says, 'Slang adjectival sense of "crazy" is American English, 1918.'

The Old English word was 'geac', which is 'geck', which means silly or crazy in German...

An old Scottish/Northern English word gawk, meaning a stupid person, and our word gawk, meaning 'stare like you don't have good sense', all come from that old word for cuckoo. Apparently, it's because the European cuckoo really does sound like a cuckoo clock, and English people thought it was a silly bird call...

...though what right they had to make fun of a bird, I don't know. Has anybody noticed how silly most humans sound?

Forgive me if you've heard this one before, but the first time I heard a cuckoo in the woods, I looked at my watch and said, 'He's running slow.' Poor birds...


Cuckoos do have a lot to live down

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

The cuckoo house
\
A87991988


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Bird Conspiracy Theory

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more