A Conversation for Deep Thought: We Need a Better Map

words and maps

Post 1

minorvogonpoet

When I read Marvin Harris' quote, I stopped at the word 'objectivity'.
I want to ask 'What do you mean by 'objectivity'? To Marvin Harris 'objectivity' may well mean'seeing the world from the point of view of a Westerner.'

That's the trouble with words. If you believe Wittgenstein, the meaning of a word is its use. So, if I use the word 'objectivity' I might mean something different from Marvin Harris.


words and maps

Post 2

Chris Morris

I read the first 4 of Casteneda's books in the early 70s when I was a hippy living in Sydney. It never occurred to me to worry about whether what he was writing was "true" or not; they constitute a brilliant exposition of existentialism and phenomenology so that, when I eventually arrived at university to study philosophy, those notions made perfect sense to me to a greater extent than just reading "Roads to Freedom" and "Nausea" would've allowed.


words and maps

Post 3

Chris Morris

I meant to add that I agree with Minorvogonpoet's concern about Harris's use of objectivity. As a "postmodernist", I frequently find myself arguing both with positivists such as Harris and Christian apologists about their inability to recognise the false dichotomy that they both hold to.

Enactivist notions of cognition provide an answer that dichotomy as this article indicates:

https://www.academia.edu/11843330/Embodied_language_comprehension_requires_an_enactivist_paradigm_of_cognition?email_work_card=view-paper


words and maps

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - laugh I share your concern with Marvin Harris. You'd feel that way even more if you read him.


words and maps

Post 5

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

I totally agree with the Shetlanders. If you are going to be on a remote group of islands, people shouldn't get the idea that you are exaggerating the remoteness. I mean, Bergen (Norway) is much closer than London. You know you are far above it all, only thinking outside the box. You wouldn't want to be associated with the likes of Jersey or Guernsey, do you? Those are practically French!

Getting to the second part...

I have heard of Castenada, but never read anything of his. I can relate to the mindset/perspective approach though. (being married to a certified cartographer)


words and maps

Post 6

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

In other words, a lady who knows where her towel is - and also Antwerp. smiley - smiley


words and maps

Post 7

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Maybe the Shetlands deserve a whole map of their own. smiley - smiley


words and maps

Post 8

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Yeah, one with "here be dragons" for good measure


words and maps

Post 9

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - rofl


words and maps

Post 10

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

If they have dragons, so much the better for their tourist industry -- also better for the dragons, as they can get a supply of fresh meat. smiley - biggrin

smiley - tongueincheek


Key: Complain about this post